Newly Adopted Wrasse.

myerst22

Hello all. A local fellow -- member is breaking down one of his smaller tanks that had only one fish in it. He was nice enough to give it to me. The only time I have taken care of Halichores Wrasses was when I ran a LFS. So I never had kept one for an extended period of time. I know some can be difficult, but this guy or girl is eating everything and anything. Any idea if this is a Male or Female? Can you pair these Wrasses up after one has been introduced? How do you go about pairing them up? Any advice on these Wrasses? Am I correct that this is Hal. marginatus? Thanks!! What do you think of him? Later, T

kjr_trig

I believe you are right on the classification Tim....Ornate Leopard Wrasse is the only other one that comes to mind, but the tail is not the same.

If it is in fact a marginatus Wrasse, I believe it's a Male...Female has a spot on the tail....I don't know about pairing it but would love to see it....Have any flatworms? They love them some flatworms.

Oh, and he's awesome!!!
We need an Aquaknight opinion too.

aquaknight

With that tail, definitely a H. marginatus. Not a full male yet, but close. He's got the forehead bump and colored-in pectoral fins to work on still...
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
Females have a white/clear tail, sometimes retaining a black/white spot on the dorsal that all juvi's have.
Should be okay to add a female or even another Halichoeres
or other species of wrasse.

kjr_trig

I think I was thinking of Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) that females have the spot on the tail.

myerst22

Now that I know it is a him, he is in a 180 FOWLR. He eats like a pig!!! He is living currently with a X-mas Island Emperor and Black Tang. A Blue Spot Angel, Foxface, and a Dragon Moray. Also some damsels. T