NEWLY SICK PUFFER..HELP!!

tonynader

I just purchsed a stars and stripes puffer for my 80 gal. all paremters are on the spot. But my puffer started layin in a cave and its skin looks dull. Im using the treatment kick Ich so hopefully thatll work. I do not have a quarantine tank. Any other suggestions would be great. i dont want the cute lil guy to hafta pass :(

deejeff442

does it have ich?kick ich is snake oil and does not work PERIOD
whats in the tank as far as rock and sand?
is he eating?

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/385056/newly-sick-puffer-help#post_3375682
does it have ich?kick ich is snake oil and does not work PERIOD
whats in the tank as far as rock and sand?
is he eating?
+1
None of the "reef safe" ich cure products really work - though I wish they did, and some can wreck the tank if misused at all. Seperate Qtine/hospital tanks a must - even if just 10gal size, though 20-30 is better. Small tanks like this can be found used on craigslist for pennies on the dollar vs. new, and new they are just a couple bucks anyway.

tonynader

i saw some signs on its skin. it looked dull and minor grey dots. he was laying on the sand looking really bad. I treated with kick ich yesteray and now hes swimming more and skin looks a liltle better.
he was acting bit werid before but now looks better, just scratching itself on rocks every now and then. in thank are niger trigger, snowflake eel, maroon clowns and tomini tang. yes he is eating but not as varocious as he probably shoulld
h

deejeff442

one thing i have noticed is when a puffer curls his tail to his body something is seriously wrong.
again what do you have for filtration? how much lr and how deep is the sand.do you have a hob filter?

tonynader

Ya ive read about the curling, people say that its nothing to worry about or its just a little sign of stress. but he doesnt seem to be curling. Filtration i have a 15 gallon sump with filter sock carbon bag and AMG skimmer. 80 Lbs live rock and bed is about 3 inches!!!

deejeff442

if there is ich in the tank you are in big trouble then.3 inch sand bed wont work with hypo.
i hope its not ich