Nitrate problem...

dapak83

Can not changing your filter media creat a nitrate problem?
if soo i got a busy day tom!!!
i did a water change last week.. my nitrates are still high...i m gona prepare more water for another change but i think i have to wait cuz i have my skimmer on now and it should help.. and also i never cleand my fluval canister...its been over due!
will these 3 things help my nitrate problem!?

socal57che

I rinse my media with saltwater mix so as not to kill off bacteria. And yes filter media can become a nitrate factory...to an extent that's what it's supposed to do. If you have a deep sand bed and vacuum it too aggressively it can release nitrates as well.
Water changes are in order. Perform several small changes so you don't stress livestock with sudden changes in water parameters. I would do 10% every 3-4 days until until levels are normal.

socal57che

IMO canisters require more frequent cleaning because there is no water to air contact like a wet/dry filter.

dapak83

i will clean it tonight.... i do 5 gal chnges on my 55... so thats about 10% i will do one today and anothr sat...hopefully everything will be ok.... i am thinking about just taking the media out cuz i just got the skimmer and it should play a big part in to lowering everything...
i still dont have the amonia test kit ...
ph 8.0
nitrite 0
nitrate about 60 :scared:

lion_crazz

Not cleaning your filter media can definitely elevate your nitrates.
However, I would disagree with small water changes to bring down high nitrates. You need to do at least a few large water changes to make a dent in the high nitrates, and then follow that up with a series of small water changes to maintain the good water quality.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by socal57che
I rinse my media with saltwater mix so as not to kill off bacteria. And yes filter media can become a nitrate factory...to an extent that's what it's supposed to do. If you have a deep sand bed and vacuum it too aggressively it can release nitrates as well.
Water changes are in order. Perform several small changes so you don't stress livestock with sudden changes in water parameters. I would do 10% every 3-4 days until until levels are normal.
If you have live sand why would you vacuum it? There are live things in there that help with the nitrates so by vacuuming the sand you risk pulling out the live stuff.
I agree with Lion, a few large water changes and then monitor with smaller ones.

socal57che

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
If you have live sand why would you vacuum it?
Um...I don't, but not everyone knows not to and when they do it releases nitrates that are naturally trapped in the sand.
And depak83, don't remove your media. You need it for bacreria growth.
You also need a full test kit, like pronto...right now.

socal57che

Originally Posted by dapak83
i am thinking about just taking the media out cuz i just got the skimmer and it should play a big part in to lowering everything
The skimmer will remove particulates which will help long term by eliminating a source of your nitrates, not by physically removing nitrates.
With your nitrates at 60 you should do some large water changes to avoid deaths in your tank. Your first post didn't mention they were this high. Do you have any live inverts left?

dapak83

I will start doing water changes son as i get home....
i have a cleaner shrimp... 2 blue leg hermit, 3 nas snails and about 6 turbos.. should i get more....
Man i thought i had this down but lookin at the nitrates i am starting to get worried.. all the fishes are acting and looking normal too...
shud i not feed for a day or 2?

socal57che

Don't add any livestock. I just wanted to know if the high nitrates had an effect on your inverts yet. At levels half your reading inverts will begin to die as will some algaes. Reduced feeding is a good idea.
After your water parameters are corrected then I would increase population of the cleanup crew.

dapak83

i have recently lost a few snails.... but i thught the crabs were geting to them...... and i fuigered becasue they died the nitrates went up.....
ouch!!
hey is 6x water flow ok in the tank for a while.. my extra PH that i used to mix the salt broke so i gota take one out of the tank to mix the salt.... and in this case i think i wont let the salt mix for more then an hr for the first change cuz i need to do it asap!

socal57che

6X should be ok, but closer to 10X would be better. I've heard people say as much as 40X, but I think that's a little excessive. If you don't have dead spots with buildup I wouldn't worry about it. If buildup is adding to your nitrate problem, increased flow will help.