Nitrates at 20ppm

estein02

When I was looking at my tank this evening I noticed a little bit of green bubble algae so I tested the nitrates and they were 20ppm. Typically my nitrates are in the 10-15ppm range. I've recently added 30lbs of LR, a little LS and reaquascaped my tank to convert it to a reef tank. I was planning on getting some corals over the weekend, but I'm guessing that I should get the nitrates down before doing so.
After I tested I replaced the filter sock, which I probably should be doing more. Overfeeding can cause nitrates to rise...is that correct? I run a protein skimmer and I've recently added a refugium (AquaFuge 2) with a 2 1/2" - 3" LS bed some small pieces of LR and chaeto. I was hoping that adding the fuge would help get the nitrates from the 10-15 ppm range closer to 0ppm since I want to make it a reef tank. My tank is 65 gallons. Any suggestions or do I need to provide anymore information?

N

nereef

yes overfeeding will cause high nitrates. it sounds like you are on the right track. keep running the skimmer and fuge, and keep doing weekly waterchanges. what is your current stock list?

estein02

Originally Posted by NEreef
yes overfeeding will cause high nitrates. it sounds like you are on the right track. keep running the skimmer and fuge, and keep doing weekly waterchanges. what is your current stock list?
Fish:
  • Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
  • Lawnmower Blenny
    Yellow Watchman Goby
6 Zoo Frags
BTA
Sun Coral
Emerald Crab
Sally Lightfoot
Fire Shrimp
Snails and Hermits
I don't believe that it is a stocking issue, but I really need to get the nitrates down. Should I wait until they get below 10ppm before adding any corals? I was initally planning on adding a few ricordia.
Thanks for the help.

ninjamini

I've recently added 30lbs of LR, a little LS---NO QT? No cycling the rock? Was it from a well established tank?
I was planning on getting some corals over the weekend, but I'm guessing that I should get the nitrates down before doing so.

After I tested I replaced the filter sock

Overfeeding can cause nitrates to rise

I run a protein skimmer

and I've recently added a refugium

with a 2 1/2" - 3" LS bed some small pieces of LR Unnessacary but fine.
and chaeto.

Take out the rock with the bubble algae and use a razor to scrape it off. If it bursts then wash the area well with ro water.
Do a nice size water change and get the nitreates under control. ITs an issue for everyone.

estein02

The LR was from a well established tank. It had been in there 2 - 3 years...has a lot of encrusted purple coraline, so I don't believe that is the issue. Wouldn't the ammonia go up rather then the nitrates if the LR was the issue? My ammonia is 0ppm. I'm going to do a water change tonight.
The bubble algae was actually on the sand and I was able to suck it out with a turkey baster. I hope that it doesn't get on the rock...the last thing I want to do is take the rock out.
puffer32...my concern is that it has gone up recently after staying in the 10 - 15 ppm range for a while. I think it has to be my feeding...I've been spoiling the fish a little trying to get my new watchman goby out to eat, plus spot feeding a sun coral. I'm not feeding the fish often, but probably too much when I do feed them. I'll cut back on that to see if it makes a difference.

renogaw

there's always ammonia present in our systems but you may not be able to test it--the live rock will break it down. maybe there was a tiny amount of die off from moving the rock, and the system was able to deal with it fast enough so that you didn't see any ammonia.
the 3" sand bed will do nothing for your nitrates btw, it has to be a DSB of 5-6" for anaerobic bacteria to thrive.
changing out the filter sock will help, do some water changes to get them down, and no overfeeding and you should do fine :)

estein02

Originally Posted by renogaw
there's always ammonia present in our systems but you may not be able to test it--the live rock will break it down. maybe there was a tiny amount of die off from moving the rock, and the system was able to deal with it fast enough so that you didn't see any ammonia.
the 3" sand bed will do nothing for your nitrates btw, it has to be a DSB of 5-6" for anaerobic bacteria to thrive.
changing out the filter sock will help, do some water changes to get them down, and no overfeeding and you should do fine :)
Thanks renogaw. I had a feeling that the 3" sand bed wasn't enough but that is the deepest I could get it in the AquaFuge 2 (small HOB refugium). Should I do daily small water changes or like 10 gallons every couple of days to get them down? Your chaeto has to help too:)

renogaw

the chaeto will suck some nitrates out, you're already getting growth right? :)
how new/old is the tank? (i can't remember). i've never really done water changes to get rid of nitrates, but people say 10% daily water changes do the trick. i'd bet though that with normal weekly waterchanges, the chaeto, and controlling feeding you'll be fine in a while.

earlybird

I had some bubble algae also but showed 0-1 nitrates and 0 phosphates. I popped it on accident about 3 weeks ago and nothing happened. Supposedly if they pop the spores will create more but I have yet to see any.

estein02

Originally Posted by renogaw
the chaeto will suck some nitrates out, you're already getting growth right? :)
how new/old is the tank? (i can't remember). i've never really done water changes to get rid of nitrates, but people say 10% daily water changes do the trick. i'd bet though that with normal weekly waterchanges, the chaeto, and controlling feeding you'll be fine in a while.
Yes, it is growing really well.
The tank has been set up for 6 months.

ophiura

I would be wary of overreacting to a bit of algae here or there. Healthy reefs in the wild do have algae growing on them :)

earlybird

Originally Posted by ophiura
I would be wary of overreacting to a bit of algae here or there. Healthy reefs in the wild do have algae growing on them :)
Which is why I stopped worrying about my sand bed.

estein02

Originally Posted by ophiura
I'm not worried about the algae...I am concerned that my nitrates went up slightly. I know that 20 isn't high, but I want to start adding corals and according to everything I've read reef tanks should have nitrate levels that are undetectable, at least under 10ppm.