Nitrates...

kiefers

Okay now, I have been reading these different threads on peoples nitrates and I just can't believe it. How is it that people can say their nitrates are 0 and everytime I test mine even after water changes it reads 10 to 20 almost every time? Can it be the salt I am using? The skimmer? I really hate the bio balls because there (IMO) nitrate factories but I'm stumped.
My corals are doing great *knocking on wood* but you would think and according to different people out here the corals should be kicking over. So... what gives here. Feed back is our friends, not food.

J

jeremye83

well whether this would be of any help. I was in the EXACT same boat as you. I do water changes of 10 gallons in my 60 gallon tank every 2 weeks with RO water and still had readings in the 20s. I have to say, and im sure some wont believe but... a few months ago I have put xenia in my tank and it has spread dramatically. I now test my water and its as clear as can be, 0 nitrates. It HAS to be due to the xenia consuming them because i know without a doubt that I always have had nitrates and have done nothing extra to get rid of them. Long story short, get some xenia!

kiefers

I do have some pulsating xenia in the tank already. They are branching off however the Nitrates are the same. The last time I did my water change I did a 25 G change over and let it cycle through for 24 hours and checked it the Nitrates again and once again, 10. Hmmmmph... What do you think about the bioballs?

frenchy in ny

Hello & I understand what you mean as I've been in the same situation of having my nitrate always on 10-20 and even after extensive water change to put them back to 5 having nitrate quickly increasing to 15-20 and then staying there (thanks to continuing water change like 25% every 4 weeks) - & of course you need to check you fish load & how much food you are giving compared to your tank size-.
So what I did personally is first to get rid of the bio balls in my canister filter (as indeed I understood they are nitrate factory: can you remove them ?). At the same I did a quick nice cleaning of the filer (e.g. ceramic ring) and some of the tubing to the filter (my tank was running for 2 years) and now I'd not say that I'm at zero nitrate consistently but definitively staying in the 5 +/- 2 still doing the 20-25% water change every 4 weeks.
Hope this helps

kiefers

Thanks ya'll for pitching in. Frenchy, your right, the bio balls suck. I however have wet to dry and don't believe that live rock will totally rid of the nitrate prob. I do vodka dose x2 a week and have a skimmer. Thinking I may have to do more little water changes a week rather than the big one once/twice a month.

Sorry... the 3 prev. replies, I don't know how to do the multi quote thing yet. I did respond to all ya'll tho. Thanks again