Now I know why condy's survive in horrible tanks

broncofish

I've never owned one, never really wanted to. They are not a natural host for any clown fish i have ever known. they almost never reproduce through splitting, and most importantly I have never had a carribean tank, so I thought they would look out of place in any of the many systems I have had in the past.....
Well while doing research for the carribean lagoon I am working on I discovered an awesome paper on Condy's
Well it turns out then when they are starving they actually use their lipid catabolism and ingest nitrate, or elements that are high in nitrates. So when i have seen all these young instable systems housing condy's, i would always scratch my head and think...hmmm they must be lucky or those condy's are extremely hardy...well now I know.

jon770

So you're saying that actually HELP the tank? Because I've been trying to get mine out for a while now...:thinking:

broncofish

Only if they are starving...which I believe most in captivity are, and most anemones in hobbyist's tanks are not fed nearly enough.