Nudabranches????

gilligan50

First, I was wondering if any of them are poisonous. Second, I was thinking about getting a lettuce nudibranch to help with a little algea cleanup, but had heard to not count on them living long, to use them, keep an eye on them, and get rid of when they die. Just wanted to here some first hand accounts of keeping them.

rinker

They dont hold up well if they get near any pump intake. It sucks em up like jello. I lost my purple nudibrach that way

ruaround

I agree with oceanists... If a Nudi eats something toxic or poisonous they store it and use it themselves as a defense. Nudis don't live long, 6 to 18 months...

gilligan50

Originally Posted by Oceanists
some of them are poisoness , ussualy the more colorful ones are venomous
So, can they be dangerous to handle or should I just do my best to not stick one in my mouth

T

thomas712

The one you are asking about is a sea slug known as Elysia crispata. So far as I know they do happen to have a flavoring which makes them rather undesirable to eat, but I believe it to be low on the toxicity scale.
In any event upon the death of a sea slug or nudibranch,.. Running carbon and doing a smal water change would be a good idea.
Thomas