nutrition in Romain Lettuce and Spinich

videoguy

My friend feeds his fish Romain Lettuce. Is there any nutritional value in this? He also feeds spinich. Same ???

I have heard there is good nutritional value in both, and you should blanch these to make the digestion easier for the fish. I also heard that turnip greens are good also.

salt life

not sure if the same applys to fish but I have read for reptiles that feeding them romaine lettuce is nonbeneficial because all that type of lettuce does is hold water, but I think people with tangs feed them romaine so im not really sure...

srfisher17

Some folks say these veggies are terrible, but I sure raised a lot of herbivores on these veggies before all the SW algae & seaweed sheets were invented. The new dried SW products probably have more nutrition; but my other fish scarf this stuff long before the tangs & angels have any grazing time. I freeze, rather than blanch, greens to soften them; its easier. Just separate the leaves & freeze. Someone on this forum mentioned turnip greens and me & my fish really like the stuff. IMO, if using dry-land veggies, the herbivores should still have plenty of SW greens. Good, mature LR is vital for them and there are several good frozen & pellet algae based foods available now.

joe 09

i am not sure of spinich, but romaine has little nutritional value.you are better off feeding them seaweed selects.

stanlalee

why not just google green vegetable nutritional value? nutritional value is nutrition value wether its for people or fish (wether they digest it properly is up for debate). in general dark leafy veggies have good nutritional value.