oceansgarden.com????

peef

I for one am proud of SWF for having affiliations with OG. I would rather pay more money and know that my stuff is collected safely and eco-friendly than get more cheap stuff that is pillaged and rap** from the environment. Its about time someone did this.

kowaleski

Originally Posted by peef
http:///forum/post/2878733
I for one am proud of SWF for having affiliations with OG. I would rather pay more money and know that my stuff is collected safely and eco-friendly than get more cheap stuff that is pillaged and rap** from the environment. Its about time someone did this.

But how would you actually know? I know its a little off subject but when you buy "organic" food at least that is monitered by the FDA- does anyone oversea this industry? that ensures it is eco-friendly??

michaeltx

Originally Posted by kowaleski
http:///forum/post/2878743
But how would you actually know? I know its a little off subject but when you buy "organic" food at least that is monitered by the FDA- does anyone oversea this industry? that ensures it is eco-friendly??
Thats actually part of admins blogs they personally went to the collection villages to see who and what is collected and how. here is the excerpt from the first blog.
July 9, 2008
Indonesia. We visited with our fish supplier, coral supplier and the Head of the Marine Aquarium Council for Indonesia. Our Fish supplier is one of the few suppliers offering Mac Certified fish on a large scale, and our customer’s will be happy to know that 95% of the fish supplied are MAC certified. The rest follow sustainable collection techniques but do not follow the paperwork protocol which is really difficult to manage in developing countries.
There is an active aquaculture program going on with our suppliers. They both are working with the National Parks Service for Indonesia and have several coral farms within the Thousand Island National Park Area. We visited several sites here and were impressed with the scale and scope of the efforts. The coral farms are located in about 10-30 feet of water in areas that do not currently have coral growth or areas that have been previously destroyed before restrictions were put in place. Frags are placed on a stone base and put on platforms under water. Here they grow out for approximately 3 months until they reach the proper size for export. We hand selected many of the most colorful and vibrant varieties and will be offering them for sale in late July. After a year the mother colonies of the corals are returned to repopulate the reef.
Oceansgarden.com will be working with our coral supplier on a project to rehabilitate some of the reefs within the Thousand Island National Park. Our hope is that this will become a framework to expand these programs to other parts of Indonesia.
We also discussed the possibility of hosting a tour of Indonesia where hobbyists could visit fishing villages, actually place frags on some reefs undergoing rehabilitation, and finally producing their our frags that will grow out and be sent to us for delivery to you when they have grown out after 3 months. Let me know if this is something that would interest you.
I will post the pictures when we return to the States since most were done with an underwater film camera. Hopefully, they will show you the color and diversity of the reefs as well as the extent of the coral farms.
Mike