octopus

rattler

i am setting up a tank for an octopus should i use sand or just not have any for easy cleaning but good filtration and anyone that has kept one with good success post picks please

jr2857

i hope you done some reaserch. i'm not an expert but make sure there are no other fish in that tank and have a VERY tight lid. cool idea though

mitzel

They only live a year no matter what . As soon as they mature they mate and die and even if they dont mate they still die . they just have very short biological clocks.

unleashed

Originally Posted by mitzel
They only live a year no matter what . As soon as they mature they mate and die and even if they dont mate they still die . they just have very short biological clocks.
either way shuch a short life span kinda sux

djmd04

When I had both of mine I had LS and LR thats all I had in the tank They move stuff alot because they like to make there own "shelter" So I was sure not to out huge pieces in by they were big. Neither of mine escaped in the 3 years I had them. I didnt even put a tight lid or anything of that sort on the tank I just took really good care of them. They are also very messy eaters so a protein skimmer is no a bad Idea. make sure that all tube for filtration is covered with something with tiny holes like a piece of pantyhose because they will try to go up inside the tubing to hide, and believe me they CAN fit! Just always remember this as well. They have a huge surface area of skin, think of it this way turn your skin inside out and think how sensitive it would be, thats how an octo is. so always make sure your ph and alk and stuff are ALWAYS on!
Good Luck if you need anything else let me know
btw you can train them very well too!

dme

Others had thought as well they be able to keep one for it be one thing to what you understand and another in how you might or will achieve it for its more easier for when one reads up on the animal for their so many things here that come into play and the starting of it is water quality so if you are still in you beginning years, best you leave it be for now that thought.
Buddy

ams153

i actually wanted one at one time and still do but just not yet.. they would be alot of fun just be prepared to buy a new one every year or so.. they are cheap though so it shouldn't be to bad good luck with it and hope you enjoy it