Octopus

bimac

Hi,
I came this section to inform all of the agressive fish keeper about octopus. I rarly see any talk about keeping octopus. There has been alot of talk about how octopus are 100% inpossable to keep. That is 100% wrong. I've kept one and they are easier than you would think. Anyone who is intrested in theys wonderful animals Pm me.

aw2

When you say you've kept one...what time frame are you talking about?
I dont remember anyone, in any octo thread on this board, where people have said they're 100% impossible to keep. I've kept two and some other people here have successfully kept them as well.
They're definately not for the inexperianced hobbiest, but they're certainly not impossible to keep.

bimac

AW2,
I kept an octopus about 4 months ago and am on a waiting list to get another. I recall someone saying that there LFS told them that octopus are 99% likely to die or something or other. what brings me over is that it has been getting kind of slow on the octopus forums. Alot of fish stores are pulling out on the market of octopus because they think there isn't enough of a community to make a prophet. So I thought I might as well give it a try removing any false names for the octopus and hopfully bring in a few new people into it. By the way have i seen you on Tonmo?
Nymustang7,
As for keeping an octopus in his tank I would subjest getting a cover and duck taping over any holes that could be an excape.

aw2

When I said "what was the time frame", I was asking how long you've kept an individual ceph...1 week, 6 months, a year?
Originally Posted by bimac
AW2,
By the way have i seen you on Tonmo?
I used to visit quite frequently.
Then, I just got tired of posting a question and it sitting there for over a week, with no responses, yet it would have 50 - 100+ views.
I like to spend my time at places where people enjoy answering questions, helping other people and where there's a sense of community, such as SWF.

bimac

i got an older Barerus He lived about 6 months. Since they only live 2 years I thought that was pritty good knowing I got it older. I know what you mean about Tonmo. I actualy stopped going because ever time I posted a group of guys would follow me and bash. when i say bash i mean bash.
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4420
its kind of obvious who. Oh and the test kit was faulty.

unleashed

I would not concider 6 months to be a total success IMPO thats for any species.granted these fish only live 2 yrs max life span in compairison to countlesss yrs of other species. but by keeping an octopus for just 6 months has shortened its life span by a countable 1/4 of its life expectancy success would be keeping one at min of 3/4 of its life span.given leway to its age at time of purchase.

aw2

Originally Posted by unleashed
I would not concider 6 months to be a total success IMPO thats for any species.granted these fish only live 2 yrs max life span in compairison to countlesss yrs of other species. but by keeping an octopus for just 6 months has shortened its life span by a countable 1/4 of its life expectancy success would be keeping one at min of 3/4 of its life span.given leway to its age at time of purchase.

Actually...6 months is quite a success. Cephalopods are so different than any other species, they arent even comparable.
You dont know when the specimen was caught and then trasported to be sold. It could have already been an adult.
There are very few species of Octo that live longer than 12 - 14 months. You wont find any available, for the hobbiest, that'll live 2 years.

psusocr1

i think octo's are awesome but the way im gaetting this then why are we pullling octo's from the ocean if we will defiantly kill them in a few months? it doesnt make sense to me?? please fill me in more about this..Also whats the avergave lifespan of an octo in the wild? dont they live long?? :notsure:

aw2

Average life span for octos that are most available in the hobby is 12 - 14 months. It's just their natural life cycle.
Some species can live for years, but they're species that are endangered, rare, get too big, or a deep water species.
There are 2 sites, that I know of, that sell aquacultured octos. That's definately the way to go, since you'll know exactly how old the specimen is and how long you can look forward to keeping it.

fiji_blue

I heard once that an octo escaped its tank and somehow broke into the QT and ate all the fish and went back to its main tank. I thought this could be made up. What do you guys think?
Possible or impossible?

aw2

Originally Posted by fiji_blue
I heard once that an octo escaped its tank and somehow broke into the QT and ate all the fish and went back to its main tank. I thought this could be made up. What do you guys think?
Possible or impossible?

That's actually a true incident.
It was an octo that was kept, for study, in a biologist dept.
They had a separate tank, across the room, full of hermits. The researches kept noticing the hermits missing, every night and couldnt figure out what was going on.
They set up a camera and filmed the octo climbing out of it's tank, down the table leg, crawling across the floor and up into the hermit tank. It would eat it's fill of hermits and then climb back down, across the floor and back into it's own tank.
When people say they're smart...they're not kidding.

toyshika

Well, Legal Seafood serves a really good octpus Thai Style...not sure how long they had theirs in the tank though....lol...sorry my head is killing me tonight. LOL

fiji_blue

Originally Posted by AW2
That's actually a true incident.
It was an octo that was kept, for study, in a biologist dept.
They had a separate tank, across the room, full of hermits. The researches kept noticing the hermits missing, every night and couldnt figure out what was going on.
They set up a camera and filmed the octo climbing out of it's tank, down the table leg, crawling across the floor and up into the hermit tank. It would eat it's fill of hermits and then climb back down, across the floor and back into it's own tank.
When people say they're smart...they're not kidding.
Thanks for refreshing my memory aw2. I heard that story a while back so I forgot. Yeah they are incredibly smart. I also saw a show where they put a piece of fish in a jar with a tight lid. Then they put it in the tank. Within a minute the octo unscrewed the jar and got a free meal. I was amazed.

milwaukeem

Originally Posted by psusocr1
i think octo's are awesome but the way im gaetting this then why are we pullling octo's from the ocean if we will defiantly kill them in a few months? it doesnt make sense to me?? please fill me in more about this..Also whats the avergave lifespan of an octo in the wild? dont they live long?? :notsure:

From what I have been told is that there life span is not any greater in the wild then it is in captivity... They just have a short life span in general....

moby

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but have 15 years experience in SW and reef setup.
About 5 years ago I had a blue ring octo from Australia (Yeah I know VERY deadly!)
He lived in my 75 gal for 13 months
, Extremely smart critter. I give an example.
I kept the feeder fiddlers in a small blue plastic bucket, he learned every time he saw the bucket on the counter it was chow time and would come out of his self made home in some old base rock. I tried to fool him with other items that were blue, no luck. So I thought maybe it isn't the color but the shape so I tried a couple of different colored buckets No luck! He was quite the ecsape artist, everything had to be sealed tight, no hole was too small.
All in all, he was definatly my favorite "fish" experience. BTW, I don't think they are available anymore, due to how dangerous they are and being from the Australian coast.
Great forum also! Seems to be a very friendly community which only adds to the hobbies enjoyment.

jeremy888

hahahaha ya... but he only had his for about 2 minutes im guessing
he didn't do too well keeping them happy

socal57che

The guy had just come out of the water with them when we pulled up. He just wanted to have dinner, but everybody kept asking for pics. It was about 3 miles or so north of Hanauma Bay. Tidepools on the North Shore were full of small fish and tons of crabs.
Sorry for the hijack.........please continue with the "keeping them alive" portion of the thread.