Odd White marks on YT

cocoboy821

hey guys, today my mom and i looked in our tank and saw a distressing injury (we guess) on sunshine our yellow tang. he also has these 2 black/brown spots right above his eye, but he wont stay still long enought for a pic, but i'm thinkin HLLE? i'll look it up on the archive thingy. i'm fixing to see if my pics will post, but here's all the info on the tank
its 75 gal bout 2 1/2 years old
mushrooms, anemone, buttons, leather tree, doughnut coral, trumpets, xenia
2 clarkiis clowns (tuffy & bob)
ty (sunshine)
chromis (chromis
)
gold stripe maroon clown (bully)
6 line wrasse (wrassie)
3 yellow wrasses (citrus, lemon, & banana)
black sailfin blenny (blackie)
2 sally light foots
ph: 8.3
ammonia: 0
trates: lfs owner told rents that we didnt need the test cause ours was
always like 5 or 10 so he told em no need for the test

trites: .1
phosphate: 0
cal: 340
kh: 140 (low i know, wont stay up after we stop using some powder that's
suppose to raise it)
sal: 1.021
temp:76.4
the only thing that has recently changed is we had to buy a chiller cause we couldnt keep the tank cool in the delta heat, and our water flow has decreased so there's some light alge on the sand. we also have added pep & cleaner shrimps, hermits, emerald crabs. and more snails.
i have the pics uploaded to the site (or so it says) so tell me if they are on here or not please

cocoboy821

so this might come across as rude, and i'm sorry, but just a little help? even someone saying "i have no freakin clue what your odd fish has got" would be great, cause poor sunshine & me are feeling ignored.. and he's my baby so i slightly dont want him to up and croak on me
we'll be right here. not movin.
thanks

yearofthenick

It looks like scale rot - not sure exactly what it's called, but usually it's usually because of poor water quality. Everything you posted looks good, but there may be something else in your tank water that you can't test for. Has anything foreign been introduced to your tank? Do you mix your own salt? Do you use RO water or just tap water?

cocoboy821

thanks for responding! nothin foreign has been added since we acclimated the snails, crabs, and shrimp.. we have a RO thing that filters the water like three or four times and it's always 0 for all test, and we mix it up our selves
fin rot huh?.. interestin.. he had lymphcitosis (if that's how it's spelled) before, was sorta thinkin it might be that, definately have to check..
he had been fed seaweed leaves, but he's rebelled and wont eat them anymore, so we add extra algea wafers and shrimp pellets, and little alge flakes in our concoction (for every other night) and we add them when the other fish eat flakes. we just tried to give him a seaweed strip tonight and he nibbled on it.
i read one thread bout a tang that like formula 2 medium size pellets, so i'm gonna see if our lfs has those tomm.

it's chuck

Remember YT's don't just eat algae I feed mine a mix/rotation of formula 1 and 2, shrimp pellets, red and green algae sheets(it also picks at the krill, clam, and silversides for my other fish also) all treated in Selcon. I strongly suggest picking up some Selcon or Zoecon and start treating his food and varring his diet, also get your water checked(and a test kit) ASAP and do water changes accordingly(your Ammonia and Nitrites should be 0). I'd say 80-90% of the problems I see in this hobby come down to water quality and diet (and other 10-20% could ussally be fixed by using a QT)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Did this appear suddenly or gradually? Describe it in detail, because its hard to tell much from the pictures.

cocoboy821

i've been trying to hunt down some more diverse food for him, but the two fish stores we have in town don't have any zoecon or selecon, or formula 1 or 2. i'm going to a city (compared to my town) and there's a store we go to occasionally, so we're definitely gonna hit it up tomm and get some more food for him.
the white marks in the pictures are on his right side, in a circle form. sorta reminds me of round worms. i've tried to get our little magnifying thing and look closer, but he wont stay still. from what we can tell with just our eyes, it looks like white pimples in a circle. this morning there was couple of little red dots along the white. he was fine monday, then i went to talk to the fish and watch em more closely and he turned around and BAM! sunshine had these strange white stuff on him.
right above his left eye is a couple of brown looking "freckles" that remind me of the hlle pictures posted on various threads, but he hates being looked at for too long, and he seems to know when there's a camera around cause he runs and hids, so i'll be luckly to get a shot of those. since from i read hlle seems to be from diet and environmental stress, i'm hoping it'll clear up when we get him more diverse food

R

rcreations

Not really sure what is wrong with your tang, but I like the name you picked for your gold stripe maroon.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are the water reading of the tank he is in.
You may want to consider on-line shopping for getting fish supplies, including food. Of course, that would preclude frozen food, however, you can easily make your own. Take a look at the recipe suggestion in the FAQ Thread, at the top of this forum.

cocoboy821

the water readings are the same as yesterday. all we're doing is adding kh powder to see if it'll raise it up. and we try to buy food from the lfs in the city cause the owner knows all our fish and has suggestions. we already order many things on-line, just not crazy bout ordering food.
as an update, he's startin to get red "veins" i guess by the white area, and his whole side is startin to turn less yellowish.. he also isn't swimmin as much as he usually is, just more staying in place, right out front, which he's usually playing hide-n-go seek
wondering if this might be a bacteria infection since there's startin to be red with it?
ps: RCreations, glad ya like his name! he's actually my dad's fish, except when he's misbehaving and then ofcourse he's my fish lol

cocoboy821

from what i've read and the pictures i've seen, i think it's lymphocytis with a secondary bacterial infection.. joy

but if anyone has any other ideas what it might be, go ahead and suggest please!
and i'll welcome any suggestions on what to add to his diet or any meds ya'll know of that can help poor sunshine
also, we want to set up a quick qt tank (i know
) but not a big one, any suggested size?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The red streaks suggest more a bacterial infection. Unfortunately, with a viable, well established QT, you don't have much treatment options. Antibiotics require a well cycled, well established QT.

cocoboy821

what size would you suggest to get to set up a qt? cause i've read on a few threads that you can use a filter pad or two to jump start the cycling of it, and we're willing to do that. or anything you can suggest for us to give him until it's ready for him to be transferred to?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is that using meds, especially antibiotics, in an uncycled QT results in very poor environmental conditions.
See if you can get a better picture up. There is QT info, setup, etc., in the FAQ Thread.

cocoboy821

i'll try and get a better picture. right now we would like to know if someone thinks there is a certain size qt tank we need to get, size we need that before it can even cycle to get our fish in. also, we're going to the lfs store in the city tomm, so if you can suggest antibiotics to use when the qt is set up and sunshine is in it so we'll be able to doctor him as quick as possible.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
20gal long is generally a good size for a QT. Maracyn Two for saltwater fish is the antibiotic you want.