Odyssea 716w MH system

gradymo

I just purchased this light fixture, does anyone have any experience with this light? I understand the bulbs that come with it anen't the greatest, which bulbs would you recommend for it? Thanks

reefkprz

I personally like XM bulbs whenever possible but you need an electronic start ballast, not sure what type of balast your light comes with.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradymo http:///t/391627/odyssea-716w-mh-system#post_3474291
I just purchased this light fixture, does anyone have any experience with this light? I understand the bulbs that come with it anen't the greatest, which bulbs would you recommend for it? Thanks
I've just been informed that Ushio is for growth and XM is for color.
Some very smart people told me this - and I believe em'.
If you look it up on google images the different bulbs, you can find a color temp and bulb you like...

meowzer

I had UShio bulbs once, and I HATED them.....they were very yellow.....I really liked the Phoenix 14k JMO

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ http:///t/391627/odyssea-716w-mh-system#post_3474295
I personally like XM bulbs whenever possible but you need an electronic start ballast, not sure what type of balast your light comes with.
That is not true......You can fire an run XM bulbs on a ballast like the old PFO's and they were not electronic by any means.....
Ushio's would be yellow compared to a Phoenix, but as we all know depending on the ballast driving a bulb will dictate color a bit as well......Another thing and this is dealing with SE MH bulbs, the nipple orientation of the bulb will also affect color as well.
XM 10k's are good for growth as well, but trust me not very appealing to the eye, where as when you get to the 14k-15k XM appeasing to the eye, but not great numbers if you check them out.
There is an old thread or site out there and Sanjay had the info on his site as well, that listed the efficiency of bulb ballast combination, and also had pics as well to give you an idea.

acrylic51

Can't comment on the DE bulbs Henry.....Was never caught up in the DE frenzy when they came on the seen. I can only speak of the orientation of the nipple on the SE bulbs......

spanko

Learn something new everyday. I did not even know that the mogul based bulbs had an exhaust port!

acrylic51

Only reason I know Henry was because of how displeased I was with the 10K XM's and got talking to a few people and that tip got me where I needed....

spanko

So your bulb was mounted horizontally and changing the position of the exhaust resulted in better color?