Ok, BIG thread!

i<3fish

Now, I am getting bored with my FO tank, and am seriously looking into a reef set-up for my 180 I am planning on getting. I will definatly want SPS corals, and all other types also. But want to focus around SPS. I am wondering what the needed equipment is, like reacters, lighting, ect. Thanks!

i<3fish

I did see that. Thats why I am thinking about getting T-5's. How many watts will I need of T-5's for a 180 SPS?

puffer32

My LFS use T5's on all their displays now, no more MH! I bought some for my new set up to = almost 600 watts (can't go by watts with these babies). I will only be keeping softies in my 150. You can't go wrong with the 10K T5's for a cooler, cheaper way to light your tank

i<3fish

But how many bulbs/what fixture for a 180? Would it be 2 36" fixtures? 4 bulbs? 6 bulbs? 8!? Theres alot to think of.

nm reef

When it comes to SPS corals there is much more to consider than "just" lighting.
You'll need a well established system with adaquate biological filtration...very stable water chemistry...higher than average circulation...and elevated levels of calcium/alkalinity...just for starters.

murph145

well i have a 180 thats guna be mainly sps as of right now i only have 4 pieces and the rest are LPS softies and 3 clams
but anyways im waiting out a lil longer to add more sps since the tank is only like 5 weeks old but it never cycled cuz all the LR came from my 100 reef and same with half of the water all the sand i bougbht was LS as well
anyways i did a lot of research on what would be best for a 180 i considered such things as Flow, Lighting, Filtration, and Reactor
heres a list of what i have and it works great everything is running perfectly and all my corals and fish are doing awesome
180G Lee Mar Euro style flat polished clear view tank w center overflow and black back
36" sump has LR rubble and Macro algaes
160lbs LR
120lbs LS
18W Coralife turbo twist UV filter
ASM G-4 skimmer
Pan World 100px-x return pump from sump
MRC-CR2 Calcium Reactor with JBL dual guages and solenoid/bubble counter 10lb CO2 tank with a MAG 2 pump for Recirculation and Rio HF4 for the feed pump
the reactor is my favorite part of equipment it keeps the alk and CA so stable
Fluval 404 to run carbon and other media and also feeds my Via Aqua 1/2hp chiller
Closed loop system includes:
Sequence Reeflo Dart pump
Oceans Motion 4way version 3 to create random flow in the tank
omni-flex returns to allow for best position on flow
Lighting
2-250W DE HQI Helios 20K running off of PFO pendatns and ballasts
260W of mixed PC lighting
2 moonlights
( i know 2 MH's is a lil light for a 180 but it covers very well and all my corals and etc are doing great out here in so cali this tank already cost me $95 a month in electricity so i was saving there)
id deffinately rec a chiller thought the lights get hot!
heres a few pics

murph145

a few more of the equipment
oh and i also have a JBJ auto top off system to refill fresh RO?DI water from the loss of evaporated water
i also have a 75GPD RO/DI unit to do my 30G water changes every 3 weeks