ok guys, need some help

jonthefb

Ok guys, need some help here!
at the lfs i work at we have a 150 gallon reef tank that is considered our show tank, however we do sell corals out of it....the left side of the tnak has a huge rose bubble tip anemone ( about as big as a 5 gallon bucket when its open), some green star polyps and a giant yello toadstool....thats all on the right 1/3 of the tank....it is separated via aquascaping from the rest of the tank which is colonized by sps corals...montis, acros, poccilipora, etc...
The tank is illuminated by an Aqua Medic AquaSpace Light... a 6 footer with 3X250 watt 10K Hqi Halides and 4 34 watt PC actinics...the fixture is hung about 18 inches from the top of the tank
the tank is filtered with a self-made sump consisting of a large plenum/caulerpa chamber that is lit 24/7 and is returented to the tank with a mag 12 that is split off to 2 i/2 inch sea swirl returns!
We have had the tank running with the filtrationfor about a year and the lights have been on since october..we had originally had pc on the tank, but upgraded to mh;s and started the fixture off at 2 feet above the tank, and gradually lowered it....
we add calcium and carbonate once a week to maintain calcium levels...which unfortunately no one has ever tested...this is one thing i am going to remedy this weekend as i amgoing to take my test kits to the shop and do a full gammete on water quality
no other additives are placed into the tank, however the corals are fed daily with a food that we make in the shop..
p.s. sorry aout the long post..
now for the problem....we added the sea swirls and dropped the lights to where they are currently sitting about a mont ago....during that time period all of our acros went from brilliant colors to brown, and many are actually showing signs of tissue recession....all of us at the shop are just stumped...we are debating wether its lighting, or calcium or water moveent, as these things were really the only things that we have changed over the past two months
i personally dont think it is water movement, because although the corals have turned brown, the polyps still exten and extend well...the only two that are left are lighting and calcium/alk.....however with the lighting issue, the soft and lps corals that we have in the right 1/3 of the tank are just jamming....its only the sps that seem effected...the bulbs have been run since october, so they are only 7 months old, and i thought that they lasted a year w/o replacing...
the only other thing that could have an effect on thetank, was that at the same time the sea swirls were added, our timers on the light went out so we were turning hte light on by hand, and it wasnt at set tiems during the day....the pwner is concerned about using electrcity so there would be times when he wouldnt turn it on till 1 and then he would turn both th eactinics and halides on at the same time...could this rapid change in photoperiod have caused this to happen?
lastly i have read at garf, and several other online retailers that if acros are in a tnak with many softies they will turn brown in color in response to the toxins released by the softies....is there any relevnace to thsi statement at all> as i stated before the left 1/3 of the tnak is primarily softies, GSP, button polyps, mushrooms, leathers, etc...could these guys be causing the browning and recession of the acros?
thanks for taking the time to read through this all of you, and any insight into this weird phenonenon would be greatly appreciated!
thanks again
jon

jonthefb

thanks kip....yeah i was a little surprised when i found out that the owner has never really tested the tank for those parameters..so thats definately going to happen this sunday!
anyone?
jon

fishkiller

You may know more than me about corals, bit I DO know a good bit about plants. And I know that ANYTHING that is photosynthetic is definatly affected by chenges in the photoperiod. Even small changes like 15-20 minutes will show in some seedless vascular plants. Animals alike are affected the same by changes in the photoperiod. Even humans are effected by it. Not only does almost EVERY living organism use light and dark as external indicators of time (night and day), but many vitamins in organisms like vitamin D in people are photosynthetic. Take this into consideration-Hope it helps-Damn I knew that Biology class would pay off someday!!

jonthefb

thanks guys....DVS, see i thought that the exact opposite happened...in situations where not enought light was present corals turned brown to invrease the amount of zooxanthellae so they wouldnt have to work as hard to get the same amount of energy, and as a result of this mass decoloration, the flourescent pigments disappeared...you would think that as we moved the lights down, the coloration would have gotten more itense,, because of the increased amount of uv radiation as well as the increased intensity of the light.....
fishkiller, i totally understand your point as well...makes total sense...only thing im wondering is if anyone has ever actually had any experience with this and corals!
any more ideas guys?
thanks and good luck
jon

jonthefb

thats what i was thinking as well.....
skilos, have you ever heard anything about acros browning up when in a tank with a lot of softies?
good luck
jon

jonthefb

interesting....thanks skilos...
anone else have any ideas? how about big sps keepers...
64 Ivy, BigMac, Spsfreak, richard rendos, any ideas guys?
good luck
jon

j21kickster

jon- hey man
did i read that you had a large leather- er toadstool- any way are there any other softies- how mid is the toadstool? i ask b/c leathers (or softies in general) do produce chemicals to retard the growth of other corals- i had a person at work who's thank that happened to and some of their other corals either died or stopped growing- possibly a change in ligts- or photoperiod triggered a response in the corals-
also how are the trace elements doing?
are the acros turn brown and then bleaching or dying? is it from the base up- RTN could be affecting them and no other corals-
i have seen very vibranst SPS in tanks light brighter than that- i want to say it is something in the water- but im not sure what-
possibly run some carbon- to rid (or help) of toxins from the leather- and repalce it often- couldnt hurt-
also are you running a skimmer? - that might help too......

jonthefb

kickster, whats up
it is a large toadstool...sarcophyton to be exact and when it expands all the way it is about the size of a 5 gallon bucket.....the only coral it is actually physically touching is a monti. digitata, but both are fine, but we are going to move them nontheless...
teh rockwork basically has a large boulder on the left 1/3 of the tank that is covered in GSP, button polyps, mushrooms and a giant rose bubble tip anemone(again about the size of a 5 gallon bucket...then there is a sand channel separating the two rock structures which the toadstool lives in...his base is set in the back of the channel.....and then there is a gradually increasing reef structure that is colonized by only sps coral....
nothing is added or tested for trace element wise...this is only done by water changes....about 20 percent once a month....i am going to test DKH, ca, and phos tomorrow to see where we are at.
The acros are turning brown and are basically losing tissue from all over....for example wh have an acro...not sure what kind, but is is about the size of a softball....i was originally brwnish/ flouro green at the base with rippin purple tips...the colony is now totally brown with only the faintest hint of purple in the branches....the tissue is receeding from the base in this guy and isnt floating off, its just no longer there....in its place is bright white skeleton......
on another coral, a pink table acro, the coral has lost a little color but is still mainly pink, but is losing tissue from its base, again no tissue is floating about, but is just gone!
any ideas?
we just added 2 new bags of chemi pure and 2 new things of polyfilter, so hopefully if it is something in the h2o, it will be rendered useless!
thanks all for replying!
good luck
jon

j21kickster

man, you've got me- if it is chemicals from the softies- hopefully the chemical filteration will help- but as far as those acros dying from the base up--- it might be the corals themselves- i wish i could help more:confused:

jonthefb

so at this point it seems like the screwed up photoperiod is the key player......interesting!
thanks all and any further insights will be welcomed!
good luck
jon