Oklahoma Aquarium

Not long ago I posted that the Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society was going to do a tour of the wet lab facilities for the still under construction Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks, OK. I took many pics. It was a do it yourselfer's dream, as much of the holding equipment is totally diy.
I was very impressed with the tour, and just wanted to share. I am only going to post a few pics, so this won't be such a long thread.
This first one is one of 4, 15ft. tall protien skimmers that are hooked up to the holding tank for the sharks. they have bothe bull sharks, and lemon sharks in this massive tank.

jonthefb

man can you imagine cleaning the collection cups on those skimmers!!!! gross, it would take like five guys!
hah!
thanks for the great pics. keep em coming!
good luck
jon

Hee,Hee:D
The collection cups have a pvc line that comes down off of them. When operating, the line is closed with a valve. When the collection cup gets full, you just simply open the spigot located at the bottom of the big aeration tank.

overanalyzer

Hey Steamboat - can you let us know when it finally opens? The link you posted does not work ..... unless you remove the final . after the .org so remove that last dot!!
Thanks!!

I just want to add that these pics were taken at the wet labs, and holding facilities. None of this stuff that I have seen will be open to the public. All the filtration systems and "really neat stuff", that I was able to see in these buildings will never be seen by most people. All the systems they put together in these buildings were mostly stuff that they built themselves. There were some amazing things to see, and I wish that everyone in this hobby could see the things they have. The amount of creativity and ingenuity was incredible.
Just under the reef tanks they had in there were totally diy. They built their own skimmers, calcium reactors, plumbing, sumps.
Most of their large holding tanks were made of hog troughs. They cut a big square out of them, installed acrylic windows, bolted, and sealed with silicone caulking. Hooked up to these were diy protien skimmers, ozonators, etc.
I wish we could get together a group and go!