OMG I need help NOW!!!

i<3fish

Ok, I was looking at my Dogface Puffer a second ago, and noticed I couldnt see his left fin. So I was looking closely and also noticed that his left gill isnt moving! So I took a closer look and found out that his FIN IS STUCH IN HIS GILL!!! I have no idea what to do. I am really scared because I dont want to have to pick him up or something! Please help!!!

T

thomas712

I'm not at all sure but I think I might net him and try to remove the fin, what else can you do?

i<3fish

Well, I have never done anything like that with my fish. I am afraid he will take a chunk of my finger off or something. Even though he is only 4"... man, this stinks!

zanoshanox

He isn't gonna bite you...just net him and then force it out gently with something, or I wou;dl just leave him be and try to let him handle it.

unleashed

catch him in your net dont remove him from the water use either your finger or something smooth and round nothing sharp and gently remove his fin from his gill.and yes this is the ossest thing ive ever heard of

johnbob

If you remove his fin he will most likely only puff up. I had a porcupine puffer and he only puffed up when I tryed to expel some air he accidentily swallowed. He was about 5 inches and the only time he bit me is when he mistaked the tip of my finger for a piece of krill. I was shocked but it didn't hurt at all.

aw2

A Dogface, that I once owned, had this problem regularly.
I would use the algea cleaner and/or feeding stick and kind of harass him, a little. It's a lot less stress than netting.
With harassment, he'll take defensive measures...most likely rapidly swimming away...which in turn will cause him to use that second gill. That should cause the fin to be expelled from the gill.

seannmelly

had numerous puffers in the past that did this. they never had a problem undoing it themselves. idk y they did it, but they did and were fine

titan

Have heard accounts of this, and the people just left it alone and the fin was expelled out the gill flaps.

i<3fish

Thanks guys, but I came home today and he was free. So its all good! At least I am not the only person who has had this problem!