OMG!! now what do I do??

hatessushi

I just received my Hawaiian Trigger overnight FedEx and although the fish seems find he is HUGE. SWF.com offers this fish at 3 to 4 inches but what they sent me was at least 6 maybe 7 inches. I wasn't planning on upgrading my tank for a year and can't afford to now.
My biggest concern is I have to QT him in a 10 gallon and then he goes into a 90 gallon with a 4 inch Kole Tang, 3 inch Coral Beauty, 2 inch Maroon Tang, and about a 4 inch Diamond Goby. I wonder which one he will eat first. these triggers have the same disposition as the Pink Tail but they don't get as big. He may be already full grown. Well I guess I will acclimate him to the 10 gallon for now. Any suggestions from anyone will be most appreciated.
Funny thing is I should have known this would happen since they sent my Coral Beauty, a goby pretty much full grown. DOH!

hatessushi

Well I'm really not worried about the Tang since he is closer to 5 inches and that razor sharp fin will probably protact him a bit, the coral Beauty is the master of the tank and pretty aggressive himself, the goby can also take care of himself also since he likes to harrass others sometimes but its the little maroon clown I'm most worried about. I know maroons can be pretty mean but I don't knowif I can take that chance. I am pretty much counting on the trigger to be fairly peacefull since he is a planktavore also.
I can't place an add and get it in today or tomorrow but maybe my fish store would take him. I really want to keep him though because he is a really really beautifull fish. I also hope he makes it through acclimation. The water had an SG of 1.017 and the temp was at 68.5. I guess when it sat in Memphis for about 4 hours it got cooled off and the heat packs only last so long. He seems slow but ok though.

hatessushi

If he doesn't grow much in the next year then maybe he will be ok until next year in my new tank which will be at least 200 to maybe 320. I'm talking about late next summer.

hatessushi

It sounds like you want bigger fish. I just sent an email to complain but I don't believe they refund or take returns unless the item is dead. It seems unfair because as a seller they would say that you need to make sure this is what you want because they don't take return yet you can't see the fish or item except what they show you on this site.

volitan_fa

Well it's just that the LFS' I've gotten fish at only have tiny tiny specimens. It would be nice to get a larger one every once in a while.
I agree with you though, there should be a more accurate description.

watson3

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I ordered three small tangs from here once and got small medium and large..You have any LFS that would help out?

hatessushi

Well, he will be in QT for 4 weeks so maybe I can make my maroon clown grow an inch by then, well maybe. Do you think if the clown stays in his host the trigger might get him? He stays there all day anyway and only ventures out for food and then into the nearby corner at night when the gsp goes in. And hopefully if I keep the trigger fed he won't try to eat anyone.

saltn00b

when ordering online always list in the comment section as close to the specific fish you want as possible. but that is a big difference and it is not what you asked for or ordered. i had a very similar situation with a different online retailer and the issued me a full credit and i can keep the fish, which thankfully i am able to keep comfortably.

hatessushi

That's a good point saltnoob, I did notice that comments box but couldn't think of anything to write in it. Well now I know.
My LFS might take him as a trade for something else but we already fell in love with this one, he is so beautiful. I will post a picture when I can get one. Right now he is hiding behind the power head. He's just kind of face down saying "hey look at me and see what I can do, yo"

hatessushi

After 6 hours of acclimating him here he is. He is out and about. Acclimating took so long because the water he came in was 68.5f and salinity was 1.017 and I had to take it to 78f and 1.022 and will go to 1.025 over the next month for getting him ready for DT. He has already change color and is a bit lighter now. This kind changes color alot.

hatessushi

Thanks Alyssia. The QT is only 10 gallons but he can swim around pretty good. I taped some styrofoan sheets to the side and have cardboard for the front. There is not a lot of people movement around the area so I'm keeping the cardboard off since he is out and about. My wife wants to name him Roamy since he likes to roam the tank.

aw2x3

At that size, putting him in a 90gal, with smaller fish should be just fine. They're not known to be aggressive...hell, I wouldnt even call that particular species "semi-aggressive".
It'll be fine, in a 90gal, for quite a while...they're not the fastest growing of fish.
Good luck with it. As someone else said...if it doesnt work out, list him in the classified section.

hatessushi

Thanks for the reassurance. A little bit always helps. My wife keeps telling me it will be fine, but she loves it already to so she could be biased.

poniegirl

Beautiful, healthy fish!
I don't think they are fish eaters. Look out more for your inverts.
No offense intended, but a 4' trigger vs a 6" trigger? Apples and oranges, really.

bocfuss

I'd take him over the maroon anyday.
Just kidding, honestly. A GREAT looking fish. Maybe you could trade in the maroon for a larger one, I don't know, if your like me you grow fond of your fish, no matter what. Good luck. Keep us posted.