One Eyed Fish

srgvigil

So for those of you who don't know I started out with 6 blue chromis's. They whittled down to 3 in about 2 weeks. This was about two months ago. Yesterday while feeding I noticed one of them was missing so I figured he was dead (it's not like hes one of my prized fish like my flame angel, flame hawk or my clowns). I had also noticed one of the other chromis was beat up on the side so I figured they got in a fight and the beat up one killed the other. So I get back from school today and notice all three chromis swimming around. It turns out that the chromis that I though had died, survived. However he is now missing an eyeball. Where once was an eye is now just an empty socket. He seems perfectly fine however and swims normally and eats just fine. I'll get a picture of him up tomorrow. But hey guess what I can now say I own/owned an one eyed fish

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist,about 5 years ago I brought 5 green chromis' .Three of them died,one day I came home to feed my fish and I saw one of them swimming around in circles ,then I noticed why,its eye had been eaten out of the socket . All I could see were blood veins .That was 5 years ago. My green chromis is still alive with one eye and is fine. It has grown to nearly 3" and has streamers . What a fish

t316

Now that is something that I have not see before. Please show the pics when you can...

lmecher

I have a black and white ocellaris clown. It's face is so black it is hard to make out features. My daughter noticed (after having it several months) it is missing an eye. Not an empty socket, it seems to have a bulge (eyeball) where the eye should be. This fish is active, even feisty. I just paired it with an orange ocellaris. They are getting along like 2 peas in a pod. You'd never know it id handicaped. Looks like fish can get along fine with just one eye.
It was nice to hear others have one eyed fish too.

srgvigil

It appears that his other eye is beat up now and he appears not to be able to see out of it. Hes alive but is just swimming like an inch from above the sand. He appears to be completely blind now. I'm not sure what I sould do but should I mercy kill him?

t316

I don't think he's going to make it if he's lost sight in both eyes now. Sorry dude.

t316

Short of something gross, the freezer would be the fastest. Are you 100% sure he has lost the other eye though? If not, could he possibly be saved in a QT tank?

t316

Wrap him in a paper towel and put in the freezer, and get ready for a guilty conscience for a day or so
Been there and done that. Sorry.