one quick question

skipperdz

does anyone know why 4 nasseris snails would attack a Coral bandit shrimp, that was a relatively healthy and dominant specimen in my tank? they ripped off his arms and murdered him in cold water! lol. he was senior in my tank had him over a year and no one messed with him....EVER

dogstar

If you say so, but I seriously doubt that Nassarius snails would kill a CBS. Perhaps its just a molt or the shrimp died from some other cause and the snails are just doing what they do, scavenging.

nycbob

i agree w dogstar. cbs r way too agile for any snails to kill him. either it was a molt as stated, or a dead shrimp.

skipperdz

well he molted earlier yesterday...and it was stuck to my powerhead. he just grew his new arm that somehow got ripped off. well it was news to me too! thats why i was shocked at what i saw, the only thing i can think of is that he was old and was maybe on his way out, but he wasnt sick, he was running all over the tank after his exo hardened.
and he wasnt dead cause he was jumping away after i got to the tank, so he was still sorta alive when i saw the last half.

m0nk

Maybe he hadn't grown his whole exoskeleton back yet and was still vulnerable. Nassarius snails are opportunistic predators, sort of like hermits, though not nearly as aggressive. I know that they're the first on the scene in my tank when a turbo snail falls off the glass or something like that. It could just be that they knew the CBS was vulnerable and were very hungry....