Open Brain Feeding

inthewater

My open brain has been in the tank for about 6 weeks. I have never fed it anything, as other fish and shrimp eat everything that goes in. it seems very healthy, full and colorful. is this ok? does it feed off of other things in tank?

my open brain has eaten mysis and brine shrimp. It has also eaten a coral food I make based off E. Borneman's recipe.
I'd assume they eat DT's since I feed that to my tank too.

I tried to feed mine silversides - but it didn't like it. It kept umm spitting it out.
The silverside was roughly the size as it's mouth. Should it be much smaller?

inthewater

first, what are DT's? i have never seen the mouth of the Open Brain....where is it? it doesn't seem to have any openings that resemble a mouth. can it live without being fed anything directly, by just living off of what's in the water?

inthewater

mine has never shown these tentacles. it's all smooth inside the ridges. maybe it's a different species, but looks like the ones that are sold on this website.

birdy

Usually the feeder tenticles will come out more a few minutes to an hours after lights out, I directly feed mine, mysis, brine, it loves cocktail shrimp sliced in chunks. The biggest problem I have is that my shrimp and fish steal the food from it. So I have a 2liter pop bottle that I cut the bottom off of and I put the bottle over the brain and add the food, that way no one can get to his food.

saltcreep

I feed mine little chunks of Krill, silversides and prime reef. He does spit it out alot. I just wait a few days and try again. It will eat when it is ready! Give it time and eventually it should eat

inthewater

i'll have to check for that tonight. my shrimp are the same, so i'll have to devise something, as it's in the corner of several rocks.

julie

how often do you feed them and where is the best place to put them in the tank? I have a sun coral and it takes a lot of work, is the brain as time consuming?