orange shoulder tang

durgeonman

does anyone have any experence keeping one of these fish. they are so cool looking and very active. im really considering getting one but i wanna know if they need anything special or can they be taken care of like most other tanks. btw if i did get one it would go in 210 with a stars and stripes puffer, pink tail trigger, 3 yellow tangs, dimond goby and a small volitan lionfish.

E

emeralcrab

If you do decide to get one I have a code for one at this site. I decided to go with some different fish. But he would be fine in your 210, they get pretty big and need lots of room.

anonome

Your yellow tangs might not like a new tang in their territory. Just a thought. They can get really territorial. If they have been in the tank for awhile, this could mean trouble.

durgeonman

Originally Posted by Anonome
Your yellow tangs might not like a new tang in their territory. Just a thought. They can get really territorial. If they have been in the tank for awhile, this could mean trouble.
yea i was considering that, they have been in the tank for about 8 months. if they do start fighing i have room in my 180. i could always move the orange shoulder tang there, id rather have it in my 210, there such nice fish...

aw2x3

Great fish...although they are territorial and somewhat aggressive. I set up and maintain a 300gal. fish only, at my friends fish store. We have one that's aprox. 10". Tank mates include a 6" - 8" Purple Tang, an 8" - 10" Hippo Tang, 8" Imperator Angel, my 32" Hawaiian Dragon Moray and my 30" Whitemouth Moray.
The Tangs do fight...alot less now that I've moved them from the 125gal. they were in. The Orange Shoulder pretty much runs the show and wont hesitate to scrap with any of the fish in there, including my Morays.

durgeonman

Originally Posted by AW2x3
Great fish...although they are territorial and somewhat aggressive. I set up and maintain a 300gal. fish only, at my friends fish store. We have one that's aprox. 10". Tank mates include a 6" - 8" Purple Tang, an 8" - 10" Hippo Tang, 8" Imperator Angel, my 32" Hawaiian Dragon Moray and my 30" Whitemouth Moray.
The Tangs do fight...alot less now that I've moved them from the 125gal. they were in. The Orange Shoulder pretty much runs the show and wont hesitate to scrap with any of the fish in there, including my Morays.

thats good to know actully. It might keep my tangs in line they beat up on my trigger, hes such a wimp its really Pathetic. hes becomeing a vgetarian I think. (he eats enitre sheets of sea weed i put in for that tangs but thats another story). in any case im definitely going to get one. im have to watch him.

missile150

I have a juvenile orange shoulder tang, and he has develped a brownish spot between his eyes and a smaller on under his left fin. Any idea what it could be from? He eats very well and his activity level is great. Maybe it is from bumbing himself around while eating on the rocks, sand, glass, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by AW2x3
AW2x3, I respect your opinion on agressive fish. I would like to know if you think orange shoulders are just as agressive as Sohals?? I know they are the same species, but would just like to know. Thanks, sorry to steal the thread.
Melly