Orbic/Pinnatus/Teira Batfishes

pufferman

i've been wondering how long it takes orbic/piannatus/teira batfishes to change from juvenile to adult coloration.....or when do their colors start fading? I got them a few days ago and they've been doing well so far....fortunately......cruising around and eating like pigs.....i think they're the most elegant-looking fishes......any tips as to how to care for them? thanks

chris a h

My Orbic has been in the tank for 3 plus years and will eat anything. I think he'd live in the toilet if I let him. He eats out of my hand, I feed krill, cut up fish pieces, and frozen brine.
Chris:yes:

fmarini

in general orby and tierra bats do the best and will go from juvie fish to adult form in 6-12 months. The pinniatus bat (which is the awesome black bat w/ a red stripe) does the poorest in captivity, generally does not make it out of the juvenile form. However if it does grow to adult (in 8 months) it becomes a ugly dull grey. skip em. consider the other 2

pufferman

thanks for the replies. i was a bit worried about pinnate because i heard they're extremely difficult to keep in captivity...but contrary to the popular belief....mine's doing well......i guess having other batfishes makes him feel at home......anyway i got lucky this time..... :) i noticed that they're not afraid of my presence.....very interactive.....love them!.....btw are they known to display any "kissing/rubbing" behavior towards other fishes? mine do....for some reason...i don't think it's out of aggression.....just curious.....