Ot Gasoline Prrce!! Read !!

aggie05

Originally posted by joerdie
Hello.. I do happen to be an suv hater and the reasion is simple. i live in cincinnati OH and in this city suv's are mostly used as a status symbol. they are not used to haul or anyother excuse the suv loving public speaks about. Why is it that a 16 year old punk need a brand new suv. daddy is paying for gas and insurence. and these kids refuse to ride the bus!!!!! ITS FREE HIGH SCHOOL PUNKS!!!! and all of those work at home moms and dads? what are they using them for. NOTHING!!!! DOWN WITH SUV"S!!!!!!!

It sounds like you are more jealous than anything. I'm sure you own at least one thing that you consider a status symbol in your life. Owning an SUV isn't a crime no matter what reason you own it for.

rook

What is currently going on with gas prices is gouging as Sammy stated above. The best way to defeat this illegal practice is to report it to your state Attorney General and legislatures.
Everytime you see gas at outrageous prices, stop and buy one gallon, and keep the receipt, then send a copy of the receipt to the AG's office.
Currently the governor and AG of Michigan are inspecting all of the gas retailers and distributors in Michigan to determine who is gouging. Earlier in February AAA reported that the gas prices were dangerously close to gouging and recommended state inspections.
By writing to state elected officials and letting them know you will not stand for this is the only proven method of dealing with gouging. This is basically the method instructed during the gouging after 9/11.

D

d233

Hello,
I don’t know if anyone mentioned this yet but I think something need to be done to the raise in fuel prices. Why I think this is because when the cost of fuel go’s up so dose the cost of freight. Than product price go up and so on. And in today’s markets where companies are not so quick to give out raises it makes me at least struggle to get by and have the funds to enjoy the things I like to do.

bwets_angel

Originally posted by joerdie
Hello.. I do happen to be an suv hater and the reasion is simple. i live in cincinnati OH and in this city suv's are mostly used as a status symbol. they are not used to haul or anyother excuse the suv loving public speaks about. Why is it that a 16 year old punk need a brand new suv. daddy is paying for gas and insurence. and these kids refuse to ride the bus!!!!! ITS FREE HIGH SCHOOL PUNKS!!!! and all of those work at home moms and dads? what are they using them for. NOTHING!!!! DOWN WITH SUV"S!!!!!!!

Down with SUV'S? You know if it wasn't for my SUV I wouldn't have been able to get up or down my driveway since probably sometime in November. And as for the "high school punks" you don't know what their reasoning for driving an SUV is. Maybe they have a driveway like mine and can't get cars up or down it. Anyway what is it any of your business what they use them for anyway?

mdhyde

the only way to truly fight back is use less gas. Less demand equals lower prices. If everyone could cut back, that would make a difference.

dindi

Whats the point??? you will and I will pay to go to point a to point b. I pay 2.29 a gal for Ro/Di water get real we will pay whatever it takes to have pleasure. 3 0r 5 dollars a gal we will STILL go there. You do what you think is real. Bottom line YOU will pay no matter what. That's the way it is and that's the way it goes:mad:

bwets_angel

Originally posted by mdhyde
the only way to truly fight back is use less gas. Less demand equals lower prices. If everyone could cut back, that would make a difference.

And by cutting back that would make them raise their prices even more.

fshhub

where to start?
economics
well, it could work, IF we all would quite buying it like mentioned, but we wont
so, instead it will probably go up to compensate. PLUS the big 2? well, they sell to many many more than we can count, so instead up goes the other companies for them to compensate.
And for the other end, those companies are buying form the same places, so, if this falls, the refineries are gonna compensate across the board. If exxon does not buy, up goes sunoco's cost to compensate. BC we will continue to buy no matter what, How about fuel oil. You don't think that they will compensate there as will. Either way, we will pay. With fuel, we shoudl consider ourselves very lucky. I can remember in the 70s paying mroe than that in europe for gas.
now suv's
I have one, and the gas isn't as bad as some cars i have owned, i get about 20
but, I need it. Snow here stinks
my wife has to travel bad mountains to work, and her grand am can't cut them.
my grandad, who I take places frequently cannot get into my wifes grand am, he slides into the suv nicely, but cannot et up and down like that. I also haul things for work, which would be more than just a nuance in most cars. some of which would be more than immpossible, and I cannot haul in a truck. NOT weather resistant. A van may be better, but would not get around, except maybe an AWD, but their gas is not as good as what I am getting. and when it comes to being up above the rest of the other vehicles, well, I do have to admit I hate driving her car at night, I cannot see, betwen the SUVs, and big trucks, AND the little cars with those new lights, aimed directly into my eyes! As far as my hating or supporting any vehicle, I have mine and love it and am the ONE paying the payment, the insurance, and the gas and maintenance! You are paying yours. AND neithr of us are the ones responsible for the prices. NEITHER!! It is the whole economy, and war and such. It does not matter if I use more. I pay for each gallon I use, so the price will be the same per gallon. If I use less, the price per gallon is the same.
MY OPINION:
Supply and demand concept will not affect teh price going down on things we have to have. Only the upswing.
they know we need and will get it somewhere.
now, I do share, I feel it unneccessary to take 2 vehicles to the same place, so, if 5 or 6 of us are going out, we will take my SUV instead of 2 or 3 other cars, thus conserving. I also think it is uneccessary to drive 100 ft for bread or milk. As well, if we are going to the mall shoping, I will take the car, If I do not need the truck.
As for the 16 yr old punks, not being jealous, but I feel that you should learn to drive before getting a vehicle like a lincoln navigator. Many of them are wreckless enough as it is. I learned in a chevette. Then got my own vehicle. Status is not needed by a 16 yr old driver. As well as the added size and security making them more wreckless. I cannot think of how many times i heard my 17 yr old niece say "if she had a ...... this driver would not have....." or " If I had your truck, I bet that person would not have cut in front of me" or "Go ahead, that other car coming down the alley will wait on you". First learn to drive, then learn to drive and care for a bigger vehicle, It to me is like taking a 3 yr old and giving thema harley instead of a big wheel or tricycle. Not to mention the lack of respect for these extravagant gifts.
WHY, HOW? DID I GET DRAWN INTO A DISCUSSION LIKE THIS?

pmauro

Alternate fuels!
I was listening to Paul Harvy a fer weeks ago and there is appearently some engineer in the midwest who hasn't paid for gas since the gulf war, he uses hydrogen to power his truck (just plain water broken down). Now he didn't give details about MPH or speed things like that but that is where we really need to be thinking.

joerdie

there are so many different ways to run an automobile without oil its just that gas is so widly used that its going to take something big to change. i.e. all fossil fules used up, or federal law......
just a few years ago there was a collage student that built an engine for a van that used the excess grease and fat from fast food fry vats. the van used deisal to start it and then flipped over to the grease. the problem is who starts the process? gas stations will not putt grease into their pumps untill their are cars to use it and car manufacturers wont make cars that use grease untill their are pumps to fill their own tanks. its a chicken in the egg situation.
ps. its not that i hate all suv's and their drivers (i came on pretty strong the other day) its just that i had a lot of bad experiences with certain groups in our society (jocks, preps, snobs, ect.) and most of them needlessly drive suv's as a status symbol. not because they need them for towing or getting down their driveways after a snow.

aggie05

The SUV argument should be put to rest. Even if they own an SUV for status and status only, what is the big deal. They are not making your gas prices any higher by driving them, and the enviornment isn't suffering some great loss because SUVs are so popular.
Now, back to gas. The hydrogen powered vehicles are very promising. They produce nothing but water as exhaust and are very powerful. In fact BMW has been working on this for several years now and has a few vehicles that rival performance of gasoline powered vehicles. The problem, like I said before is that the technology is way too expensive to mass produce. Your talking about a $100,000 car just to save money on gas. The government is going to have to step up and fund this project if it is going to succeed. But of course, gas companies don't want this so we are in a catch 22.
And for all you who still think that you can refuse to buy gas and lower the cost, it just can't work. Gas, IMO is an inelastic good, meaning that no matter what happens to the supply or price level, the demand for it will always be there. That is the reason that prices are so high right now. The gas companies don't want to up the supply because they can charge more for it and we have to buy it. The only solution to having an inelastic good is to come up with a substitute good in its place. This would be hybrid vehicles, adn now we have come full circle back to where we started. So as of now, we are screwed people. It is all up to the government to make things better.

rook

What about the argument that since gasoline fuel and diesel fuel are by products of crued oil (thus for each barrel of oil processed you get x amount of diesel and y amount of gasoline), if there is a small reduction the amount of gasoline purchased, the supply will greatly increase. The reason for the increase is because oil producers still need to produce diesel (since diesel demand is very constant) and thus they will produce excess gasoline.
With a reduce in the consumption of gasoline, the supply will increase rapidly. With the limited storage, and the high cost of storage, oil producers strive to have consumption equal supply to eliminate storage.
Therefore, if you can reduce consumption, thus increasing supply, oil producers will reduce prices to increase comsumption and avoid the need for storage.
Of course you still need to reduce consumption and all consumption not just the major oil producers. Oil companies regularly exhance inventory of oil to each other to avoid the need for storage.
So I agree that not buying gas is not a long term realistic goal, but it could, and has worked in the short term.
Also, this is a short term fix. It is this concept that explains the inverse price relationship between gasoline and diesel during peek and off-peek travel seasons.
I still think my suggestion for the AG above is the only realistic method of controlling oil prices.

aggie05

Do you really think that america would refuse to travel in their cars? We cannot live without gas. Think of how inconvenient your life would become for you if you decided to boycott gas for a period of time. You would have to find a new way to get everywhere. The value of having all of this complication in your life is more than made up by spending a little extra on gas. If you disagree then sit down and think about how much you really depend on gas in your every day life.