Overlooked Sand Flounder!!!

I have a sand flounder that I've had for quite some time now. I have no problems with her and find her very enjoyable. There is little information on these guys online. I've read the few mixed reviews that they are hard to maintain and rarely eat. I'm just curios if anyone has had any experience with these fish. I would love to know how others' react. Mine happens to LOVE raw salmon and scallops. I've been told that their primary died is most invertebrates, I have a rather small emerald crab that is best pals with my flounder, he practically walks on her.
Just wondering if anyone else has one or knows anything about these flounders.
Thanks, Eric

t316

I have never seen a flounder with raised eyes like that...

That is his eyes that I'm looking at, right?

I would say mine is roughly 5-6 inches, I'm unsure about their full size. I'd love to know what they're capable of. Yes the eyes are the best feature!! they're like individual telescopes she can turn them all the way around and different ways. crazy to watch her look around she can look straight forward and straight backward at the same time. Its quite a site to see her swim up to the top then come back down and changes back to the color of the sand.
And I'm quite jealous of your location to be able to catch flounder at that quantity, most i can get around here is pike and walleye :)

t316

Originally Posted by Stealth Hippo
http:///forum/post/3207440
I would say mine is roughly 5-6 inches, I'm unsure about their full size. I'd love to know what they're capable of. Yes the eyes are the best feature!! they're like individual telescopes she can turn them all the way around and different ways. crazy to watch her look around she can look straight forward and straight backward at the same time. Its quite a site to see her swim up to the top then come back down and changes back to the color of the sand.
And I'm quite jealous of your location to be able to catch flounder at that quantity, most i can get around here is pike and walleye :)
That is really wild about the eyes. Honestly, I have never seen that. I would love to have a flounder in my tank, but all I have ever read about is how they will eat anything that drifts by (including your shrimp and other fish).
As far as my pic...this is at Carolina Beach. I go out at night gigging. I average 10-20 a night when I go, and they range anywhere from 15-24"...

aquaknight

I really don't want to go blind trying to ID those flounders exactly counting dorsal spines, counting spots,
, but I can tell you that most flounders are pretty similar. Grow to over foot, to about 2.5 feet, with some obvious excepts, a 8+ foot Halibut for instance... There really are only 3 flounders off the US Atlantic coast, Yellowtin, Southern, and Winter flounders (err Flukes).
But for aquarium use there are a few problems. First is the size problem I mentioned. Second is that most flounders/soles prefer slightly cooler water then our tropical tanks. Third as T mentions, they are pretty vorious eaters, they usually consume most of their tankmates pretty quickly.
Off-topic question Stealth, but what's up with the Fiero? Any planned swaps? 3.4/3.8/Northstar?

Hmm i can def see the size thing being an issue. Guess that gives me a good reason to upgrade. She does enjoy eating quite a bit, i can throw in nearly a whole filet of salmon and shell take care of it. As for tank mates my only suspision is my cleaner shrimp, she has left my emerald crab alone which is substantially smaller then the shrimp. Although i have noticed they are very temperate. Anytime i do a water change or something she gets all stressed out and discolored.
As for the fiero its a 87 gt 2.8 5 spd. Picked it up this past summer, my firast fiero and hopefully not my last. I girst plan on getting it running normal as is. Been sittin for bout 16 years so ebverything has seized up. Once its back in shape i plan on dropping a 3.8 super in her.
Thanks, eric
Sorry for any typos, doing this on my phone