pc bulb question

hagfish

Can a screw in PC bulb be used in an incandescent fixture? Trying to throw together some lights for a fuge. I've got an incandescent hood so thought I might as well ask.

T

thomas712

I know with VHO you need a special ballast, I believe the PC works the same way. so I don't think that using a pc bulb in a NO fixture would fire, if it did it would not work the same.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Thomas

thegrog

I know what you are talking about and those bulbs are only a few watts (15 or so I believe) and have a very wide base which I assume contains a mini ballast. I use two of them on my 10-gal QT tank when I have corals and such in there and they have worked fine for me. I've even managed to grow macro algae and coralline under these bulbs...something not easily attained with NO bulbs.
So, if your fuge is small and not very deep, then you could use these bulbs as a cheap alternative. You would still be better off with a few more watts in lighting in the future though.

T

thomas712

All you need is the LOA lighting fixture from Home Depot, its a 65w 6500k PC. Its cheap too.

T

thomas712

Don't know if it is on there site or not, there are restrictions about posting links on this site anyway. I don't use one but many do, perhaps someone will be able to post a pic. I think ReefNut has one but not sure.