PEZenfuego's 4 gallon Pico Tank Diary

pezenfuego

I am swimming in uncertainty and possibilities. I am literally just starting. I haven't made any decisions yet. Since I have never done a tank this small and since it has been a long time since I've started a tank, I have a lot of research to do and decisions to make. I also need to drive around and find a good lfs or two. Some would say that starting a diary now is too early. I disagree. My hopes are to show every little step. In the beginning I will probably post some drawings and things. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them. I won't be buying anything until I have this planned very specifically. I really hope this is going to be picture heavy. Until later.

pezenfuego

So I have decided on a tank. I am going with the nuvo 4. This seems ideal for me. I have read the reviews and seen the flaws, but overall this fits what I want. It has a separate sump-like area that would face the wall. I am going to stick with the stock light at first, but the hope is to get to LPS down the road. I have seen quite a few pico tanks and nearly all of them have the problem of too much equipment cluttering up the DT. I figure that I can put some chemical filtration back there as well as some chaeto (need another light). The little light would also help keep the pH in check, as this tank will have troubles with fluctuations. I figure that I really don't need a skimmer (I can do daily water changes with how easy it is). After a while I am going to get a chiller, some MH lighting, and a 50 gallon sump so that I can make it into an SPS tank (kidding).
I plan to get most of my stuff from ***************, so I may stop by there this weekend for ideas. I am not going to buy a thing until I know exactly what I want and what I am doing. So now i have my first real question. Maybe some of you more creative folks have a suggestion.
Most people put these on their desks, but that won't work for me. My desk is rather small (and I need all of the space I can get). In addition it is currently located in a separate room where there are no outlets. So this thing will go at the end of my bed (so that more people can see it anyhow). Obviously I need a piece of furniture to put it on. What do you guys think? I was considering getting a flat-top stand, but am afraid that that would be too big. I want this to look nice and don't want the stand to make the tank look smaller than it already is. Ideas?
The lesser question: What do you think of the stock return pump? It is 12-52 gph. Is it worth upgrading to a larger pump in your opinion?
How do you guys feel about sand? I am not a huge fan of the BB look, but I would hate to have tank crashes when moving because of sand. Then again, if I have nass snails and minimal feeding, how bad could it be?

reefkprz

I think you would be fine with a skim coat of sand in the bottom for looks. you could also silicone the sand down for the bare bottom effect with the sand look.
I wouldnt bother upgrading the return pump. the stock pump should be just fine.

sweatervest13

I have the Nuvo 8 and really like it. I was looking at the 4 but decided on the 8 because the 4 looked too small. And I liked the squared look of the 8, the 4 is more of a rectangle. The stock light (of the 8) is decent, I have a torch coral that is doing well with it (and it is growing the GHA very well in my sand, LOL). The stock pump should be just fine, in mine I have not had to add a PH. IM has a nano skimmer for the Nuvo line but IDK if it will fit on the 4g.
I would recommend getting the black vs the white tank. I have read that the white will look nice for a month then it will start to look very dirty.
Neat little tank!!

pezenfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/393113/pezenfuegos-4-gallon-pico-tank-diary#post_3494885
I have the Nuvo 8 and really like it. I was looking at the 4 but decided on the 8 because the 4 looked too small. And I liked the squared look of the 8, the 4 is more of a rectangle. The stock light (of the 8) is decent, I have a torch coral that is doing well with it (and it is growing the GHA very well in my sand, LOL). The stock pump should be just fine, in mine I have not had to add a PH. IM has a nano skimmer for the Nuvo line but IDK if it will fit on the 4g.
I would recommend getting the black vs the white tank. I have read that the white will look nice for a month then it will start to look very dirty.
Neat little tank!!
I am concerned about the stock light on the 4. In theory it should be good for softies, but since I have 0 experience with LEDs, I may end up replacing it before even getting softies. But I think I can break my hard-fast rule of being 100% prepared before a purchase (since I will have plenty of time to replace the light before putting coral in the tank).
Yes, keeping fish is possible. The problem is one of a moral nature though. Assuming the water chemistry is well maintained, very small gobies can be kept. I haven't decided how I feel about that yet though. There is some debate about it, but ultimately it comes down to an ethical choice. The entire hobby centers around that though. No tank is as big as the ocean, Is it as bad as keeping a tang in a 30 gallon tank? Certainly not.
I really don't think I need a skimmer. I feel that my filtration is slightly inadequate as it is planned (and I love to overfilter), but what would be the contribution on such a small tank? I may look into a skimmer. That's something else I need to decide though. If I want one and can't find one for my footprint, then I will make one. I've made them in the past with considerable success (for fun, not to actually use).
Then comes another issue I have neglected to mention. The temperature fluctuations in the dorm. The problem is that I have no idea what they are like. I am a terrible judge of temperature. So I think I will have to go out and get a thermometer to track the temp. I never feel the room getting too warm though. So if I get a good enough heater, I should not have any problems. But that's just another worry of mine.

pezenfuego

Below is my needs list. It is undoubtedly incomplete. I probably forgot the most basic of things
But it is going to be a running list.
Trip 1 to Premium Aquatics:
1. Refractometer (sybon)
2. Phosban
3. Filter bag for phosban
4. digital thermometer
5. nuvo 4 gallon aquarium (black)
6. heater (50W)
7. float thermometer
8. magfloat
9. aqualifter pump
10. reef fanatic auto top off controller
11. 5 gallon bucket of salt mix (50-Reef Crystals)
G&M-internet
1. submersible light (fountain light) (for chaeto)
2. filter floss
3. large hose
4. API master test kit (yeah, I know it isn't the best, but for softies what do you want from me?)
5. extra small mixing pump
Walmart/Lowes/Home
1. turkey baster
2. 2 timers
3. nets
4. night stand
5. ro or distilled water
6. 1 5 gallon jug
7. 1 5 gallon bucket
8. pitcher for ato
9. 2 milk jugs
Next Premium Aquatics trip
1. LR-6 pounds?
2. chaeto
3. LS-1 inch (will measure tank footprint to determine precise pound measurement)
Next trip
1. CUC- 2 nass snails and 1 astrea snail
2. 1 little mushroom coral
3. possibly a sexy shrimp
Next trip
1. few more corals (rics and zoas)
2. fd worm
Next trip
1. Yellow clown goby
2. coral coral coral
Future plans:
1. upgrade lighting
2. upgrade return pump
3. Move on to some LPS
Estimated 1st trip total (425 dollars)

sweatervest13

Pez,
It looks like you are going to buy a nightstand and kinda gut it?? If that is the case why not just build a crude stand to fit your needs. It can be as crude or as fancy as you want it to be. Just a thought... Plus, it might be cheaper and more custom to build your own.

snakeblitz33

Don't use milk jugs - they have leftover residue. 1g water jugs are .69 each at Wally World. I suggest using those.
I also suggest building your own little custom stand. Consider your long term expectations for your tank as well. Such as where you want to mount certain equipment and even your schedules for feeding and water changes.

pezenfuego

The jugs I have and plan to use have never had anything but water in them. I just used "milk jug" as a general term. But thanks for looking out for me. I appreciate that.
I have very minimal carpentry skills. I have made quite a few things for the camp I work at (benches, bat boxes, storage containers, etc.) Those weren't very difficult nor did they have to look very nice, though. But I'm still thinking on this stand thing. I am going to check out a few different fish stores (one that I've never been to) this weekend. Hopefully my friend will come with me. I am going to do a little bit of comparison shopping and I may start purchasing some items (if the price is lower than at ***************). I have a few different ideas as far as the stand goes. I will continue to think on it. I make my big purchase (including the tank) next Wednesday and will work on getting everything build/assembled. Then I plan to come back on Sunday and set everything up at school. I'll run it for a little while (with fresh water) and pay close attention to the temperature and water level. Once that is in working order I will mix my saltwater and get it to the appropriate temperature. Later that week (or during the weekend) I will pick up my LR and LS from premium aquatics (they used to have some great stuff-I hope they still do) and then it all goes into the tank. I miss the smell of LR, isn't it the greatest? I still need to figure out how much LR I want. On the one hand I want (proportionally) a lot. It will help with filtration and give me plenty of places for coral. On the other hand, if I get a fish I don't want to eliminate all of it's swimming space (granted it is a goby). The other problem I get to face with adding a fish is feeding the fish when I am away. Automatic fish feeders are designed to spill a significant amount of food (with no setting for 1 2inch fish) and I have never seen one that had a setting to feed the fish less than once per day. So if I want a fish, then I will either have to bring my tank home with me over every break or visit my tank every few days. Maybe I can rig something up for that. If not, then coral only is not too frightening of an option.

red tiger

They don't have to be nice, just functional to what you want it for and intend to use it, here is a pic of my frag tank that i am setting up, again not pretty but functional.
Plus @ home depot they cut the wood to the size you need it to be.
The 8" pieces on the bottom are my extras!

pezenfuego

Running Livestock Want List:
Invertebrates:
1. A Sexy Shrimp
2. Two Nassarius Snails
3. One Astrea Snail
4. One feather duster (or a christmas tree worm if found locally)
Fish:
1. Yellow Clown Goby (future)
Coral:
1. Toadstool
2. various zoas (I will seriously just visit my store and pick up nice ones when I see them. I love zoas, but let's be honest...they're zoas)
3. Hairy mushrooms
4. Pulsing Xenia (yes, I know)
5. 2 ricordeas
6. finger leather
With Upgraded lighting
1. Duncans (my favorites)
2. Acans
3. trumpet coral
4. hammer
5. Candy Cane coral
I find it hard to visualize what the tank would look like with these corals in it (I therefore may have an imbalance of color, proportion, or texture). Which is why this list is subject to change and why I will be purchasing these corals over the course of a very long period of time. Also because I want to delay the sad feeling of having a fully stocked tank.
I am going to start purchasing a few things on my list (if they are cheaper than at ***************). My friend wanted to check a few stores and work on her betta tank, so we are going shopping this weekend. More pics to come.

snakeblitz33

4g is very tiny. I think you need to cut your coral list in half, if not more...
Remember, corals don't always stay small frags.
I have a friend who gets a discount from premium aquatics. Some of his stuff can be discounted anywhere from 10-50%. PM me if you need the hookup.
I think you should just concentrate on your favorite corals that don't have any nematocysts ... duncans, acans, trumpets (candies) and some rics and a feather duster or two instead of the hammer and frogspawn... they may cause more problems then they are worth. Also, I would be very weary of putting a leather in a tank that small too - not just for the room, but for potential toxin problems in the future. Xenia - yeah, you know already - they take over everything. But, if that is something you like and are willing to prune - then go for it. In fact, I have some Anthellia I'll give to yah if you are interested. It also grows like a weed.

pezenfuego

Thanks for the reply! You know how when you are 9 years old your Christmas list is 12 feet long? Lol that's what I have going on. My old tank didn't even have that much coral. That list will probably double in size before I prune it. But you raise a very good point. With such a small tank I will have to be more careful than before with overstocking corals. I genuinely appreciate your concern an the advice you have given me. The reason I am thinking of pulsing Xenia is for its motion. I don't want the tank to be too still. But with such a small tank I might end up with ridiculous amount proportionally. You are awesome snake (I don't care what they say :p) Pm on the way.

pezenfuego

I had a great time with my friend this weekend and was able to purchase quite a few items.
This is a revised needs list:
Things I need
1. An external light (for chaeto)
2.large hose
3. pH test kit (nitrite test kit)
4. turkey baster
5. 2 timers
6. night stand
7. ro or distilled water
8. 1 5 gallon jug
9. 2 milk jugs
One thing I did not know about this tank is that the back of it is clear. That means that you can view the equipment that is in the "sump" from outside of the tank. Which is awesome because that means that I don't need a submersible light for the chaeto. I can simply put a light on the outside of it at night. The thing that I need most is a pH test kit. Skipping the nitrite test kit has crossed my mind. Talk me out of it. I am going to work on my stand this week/weekend. There is a good chance that I will build my own as per your suggestions. Potential problem-the only place the float valve fits inside the "sump" is in the intake portion. There may be significant turbulence here and that could affect my topoff. The solution to this is to put the float valve in the DT. While that won't be too attractive, it may need to be done.
Okay, pictures:

snakeblitz33

The ONLY place that a top off valve can go if you have a sump - is in the return chamber - where you have your return pump. This is the only place where you will visibly see evaporation in your tank - and the place that needs to be topped off and regulated.
Everything else looks pretty good so far. Getting it all done, I see...
Why don't you just get a pH monitor - Milwalkee makes them cheap and you can just go by your tank and look at the meter and know everything is good instead of buying the test kit?

pezenfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/393113/pezenfuegos-4-gallon-pico-tank-diary#post_3495710
The ONLY place that a top off valve can go if you have a sump - is in the return chamber - where you have your return pump. This is the only place where you will visibly see evaporation in your tank - and the place that needs to be topped off and regulated.
Everything else looks pretty good so far. Getting it all done, I see...
Why don't you just get a pH monitor - Milwalkee makes them cheap and you can just go by your tank and look at the meter and know everything is good instead of buying the test kit?
I have never done an ATO. It will not fit inside the return chamber. So putting it in the DT is a no-go? Creative solution (let me know what you think):
0. Put the float valve in the intake chamber.
1. Set up a timer for the ATO (ie it will only be active 2-3 times each day for a five minute period)
2. Set up a timer for the return pump (ie it will be inactive 2-3 times each day for a five minute period)
3. Sync