PFO Solaris LED Lighting Fixtures

bonebrake

Have you guys read about these bad boys?
If you haven't do a search!
I have been waiting for an LED lighting system for years!
This technology will quickly make metal halides a thing of the past...

sign guy

I think it cost money just to talk about them though. I want to see what people think in a few years

bonebrake

Yeah, they are crazy charging that much money for LEDs. They will come down in price fast. Someone in China will see the market for them and mass produce them and sell them for a quarter of the cost. We got to let the people that have more money than they know what to do with create the demand first before all of this will happen though.

bonebrake

Although, when you consider you wouln't have to change the bulbs for six years and the savings in energy costs to run them and energy costs to cool them, they are much cheaper than halides in the long run. You got to have the cash up front though.

sign guy

I dont see a 96 inch strip. but I think ill call them its made by pfo so it cant be bad but at the same time I wonder what width of a tank itll cover?

bonebrake

Since it is LED, I would think it would not cover more area than the strip is designed for unless you mounted it two feet or more above the water.

sign guy

with the unit only 8.75 inches wide I wonder how itll cover a 30 inch tank. but then I see that price and laugh

zman1

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
I do have that extra kidney I really don't need though...
:thinking:
Yeah, that and participate in a couple Drug Testing Trials and you will be 50% the way there for that new setup...
They're compared to 20K and not my favorite end and which 250 DE MH bulb?
PFO is currently way to proud of them. If they come down in price a bunch, I would consider them. If you have priced the MH PFO HQI ballast lately. The Dual ballast have gone up nearly $100 in the last 1.5 years.

bonebrake

Not sure what bulb, they didn't specify.
It has a dimmer and controller built in so you can make the color temperature anywhere from 22,000 K to 6,500 K or let it gradually decrease as it approaches midday and increase as night time approaches!

zman1

This is right off the PFO lighting manufacturer web site.
"The current design produces PAR light output levels equal to a 250W MH 20K.
The LEDs can be set up for either a maximum color temperature of 20K or 12K at time of order.
Note: The Actinic Blue LED’s produce more Par than the Full Spectrum White LED’s. For the most Par use the 20K LED version.(Opposite of Metal Halide)."
I read about the dimmer and agree with that, but the max par is at 20k, again not my favorite and 20k MH are typically the lower end of PAR ratings when compared to lower Kelvin bulbs on MH.

cowfishrule

i still dont see how these led's can put out the same kind of light as an mh bulb.
two totally different means of construction.
will corals react differently to these? of course- corals act differently with pc's or mh's.
but to say these are just like mh's, to me, is poop.