pH buffer

1911_guy

My pH has been at 7.8 for 2 weeks now. I just completed a 15g or 15% water change (total water volume around 100g). pH of change water was 8.2, I'm hoping this will bring it up. I know how it got low...I was out of R/O water for a few weeks and had been topping off with tap water. My sump was low, air bubbles shooting out
so I used tap water. I didn't think to test it until earlier...7.0!!! :scared: So I was wondering if I should just do normal water changes, with R/O water of course (which has a pH of 8.2) until it gradually comes back up...which may take months.
******OR******
buy a pH buffer to raise it? Thanks

sleasia

if you are making your own r/o out of your tap water the ph will also be inthe 7's..since tap water is usually 7-7.5 or so...you will still need to add a buffer to your r/o water. always test the water before you add it to the tank.

1911_guy

Originally Posted by sleasia
if you are making your own r/o out of your tap water the ph will also be inthe 7's..since tap water is usually 7-7.5 or so...you will still need to add a buffer to your r/o water. always test the water before you add it to the tank.
Sorry for the confusion, I buy my R/O water from a local shop. The pH of that water after mixed with salt is 8.2; my tap water is 7.0
I read up a little bit on pH in one of my books and I'm going to raise it through weekly water changes. Thanks for your help.

1911_guy

Originally Posted by MoneyMan
1) Measure alkalinity
2) Check to see if you have excess CO2 in your tank.
Alk measures low, CO2? Carbon dioxide?
I don't have a test kit for that.

moneyman

If you have low alk, adding buffering will help. It also helps if your salt mix has high buffering abilitity. IO/Reef Crystal has high alkalinity. Oceanic salt has low alkalinity. Low alkalinity will cause your pH to be swing.
CO2 lowers your pH. You can test if you have excess CO2 by measuring the pH a cup of tank water erated with fresh air for about an hour. If the pH of this cup is higher than the pH of your tank, you have excess CO2.

1911_guy

If you have low alk, adding buffering will help. It also helps if your salt mix has high buffering abilitity. IO/Reef Crystal has high alkalinity. Oceanic salt has low alkalinity. Low alkalinity will cause your pH to be swing.
CO2 lowers your pH. You can test if you have excess CO2 by measuring the pH a cup of tank water erated with fresh air for about an hour. If the pH of this cup is higher than the pH of your tank, you have excess CO2.
I'm pretty sure the pH is low from me using tap water to top off. I have been using Oceanic salt for at least 9 months. I just read in the archives that high CO2 will cause low pH, which is what you just said, right?
I can totally see us having a high CO2 rate in this house. 2 adults, 6 children (during the day, wife is child care provider), 2 dogs and a cat. I can't keep a window open all day though, Alaska...enough said. lol
I might be able to open a window for a few hours during the day upstairs away from the kids and tank. If I were to open the window next to the tank I would have temp swings all the time, not good. I really don't want to add anything if I don't have to, but if I REALLY had to what do you suggest?

moneyman

1) Add buffer because you said it is low. Proper alkalinity is from 7-11 dKh.
2) Try to see if you have excess CO2. Remove glass/acrylic top, having a skimmer, and increasing circulation help drive off some CO2.

1911_guy

1) Add buffer because you said it is low. Proper alkalinity is from 7-11 dKh.
2) Try to see if you have excess CO2. Remove glass/acrylic top, having a skimmer, and increasing circulation help drive off some CO2.
In your opinion do think it is absolutely necessary to use the buffer?
I put the top back on recently because my evaporation was getting ridiculous. Could that also be the culprit of my pH dropping? (having the lid off for a few months then putting it back on)