phosban reacyor questions

reb

I started running a 2 little fishies phosban 150 reactor about 2 months ago in my 65 gallon reef tank because my phosphates were too high. I origianlly had the ball valve open about 1/2 way and the flow was great. Over the last few weeks I have had to open the valve all the way and now its all the way open and the media is barely tumbling. I have checked and I don't see anything plugging it. My flow coming back into the tank is high, its just the media isn't really tumbling much. I can't seem to find anything telling me how to know when to change the media or replace the sponges.

snakeblitz33

Take the pump off and check it.
Take the unit out and turn it upside down and shake it.
Put it back on.
Replace every three to six months.

ClaptonsGhost

Did you get it fixed? I had the same problem. I don't have a pump pushing water into it, the water from the return flow pump is diverted into it. At first I, too, was getting some good tumbling, then after a day it slowed down considerably to almost nothing. My LFS guy claimed there were too many bio-pellets in the reactor (nowhere near 1/3 of the tube though as I've seen on youtube videos), so he took a bunch out and it started churning away again. Two days later, again, drastic weakening of the flow through the reactor. I've cut the return flow a bit so more water goes through the reactor and that helps a bit but it's still nowhere near the churning effect I see in youtube videos. The fact that it started off strong and then gets weak after one day is what concerns me.