Pics,,my 150,,,starter Reef@@look@@@

lluv24

hello everyone, this is my 150 show,, ive had it for along time as a fish only tank, but i really wanted to get into the reef deal. so here i am.
let me know what u think!

jackri

Nice tangs.
It seems deep and tall unlike a 125g. What kind of lighting do you have?
Nice clean and healthy looking tank though

lluv24

its a 150gl. i have 2 250 mh and 4 pc auc. maybe u can help me with the bioballs? i want to take them out but i dont know how to do it and what to replace it with? just trying to keep my nitrates down!

lluv24

also im not sure what kind of coral this is. i got it from a lfs but i forgot what he called it! also anything special i should do for it food,light,flow?

jackri

The only thing I run in my sumps are cheato and my nitrates are always 0.
Looks like we have the same skimmer as well. Here's my set up for sump/filtration though other than live rock. This was when I just put in chaeto -- but now it is COMPLETELY full and I really need to weed it out.

jackri

Oh I also replaced that retarded light with a different one -- the low wat 6500K bulb with reflector -- took off after I did that.

lluv24

where did u get the sump? thats what i want to do, but will i have a problem with dead fish or corals if i change to a new sump just like that?

jackri

I built it myself. No nothing will die by replacing your sump -- you're still using most of your original water and you have live rock in your main tank to keep your good bacteria. The only new water should be enough to top off the new sump should you get one.
If I was at home I'd show you an updated picture of the sump 7 months later full of chaeto

matt b

Originally Posted by lluv24
http:///forum/post/3124747
also im not sure what kind of coral this is. i got it from a lfs but i forgot what he called it! also anything special i should do for it food,light,flow?

Goniopora, Its going to die.
And if you bought it and it looked like that then that LFS is terrible. Gonioporas will not live in captive for more then 2 years.

lluv24

okay so i shouldnt have bought this coral. that really sucks!!!!!!! is there anything i can do to try to keep it alive?

matt b

Originally Posted by lluv24
http:///forum/post/3124960
okay so i shouldnt have bought this coral. that really sucks!!!!!!! is there anything i can do to try to keep it alive?

Nope. It is already damaged and once they are in bad shape theres really nothing you can do. People will say feeding copepods and stuff will help but not much. If I were you I would take it back and tell them it is very bleached and they should have told you they do not live in captivity.

jackri

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/3124820
Goniopora, Its going to die.
And if you bought it and it looked like that then that LFS is terrible. Gonioporas will not live in captive for more then 2 years.
I've had mine for about a year and a half and I don't accept this premise.
It grows up on the skeleton and dies from the bottom. Will it eventually die? Sure all plants/animals do. Is the end in sight for my main colony? Maybe as it has receded in the last 2 months but I have 5 babies off of it that are doing awesome and so propagating 5 babies off a main colony after 1 1/2 years I don't call this a doomed coral for everyone. But when a baby bubbles up, I do think to keep perpetuating the coral they need to be pulled off and fragged into a new colony as yes -- eventually the parent colony will die out -- perhaps just it's lifespan but this is all personal experience.

matt b

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3125272
I've had mine for about a year and a half and I don't accept this premise.
It grows up on the skeleton and dies from the bottom. Will it eventually die? Sure all plants/animals do. Is the end in sight for my main colony? Maybe as it has receded in the last 2 months but I have 5 babies off of it that are doing awesome and so propagating 5 babies off a main colony after 1 1/2 years I don't call this a doomed coral for everyone. But when a baby bubbles up, I do think to keep perpetuating the coral they need to be pulled off and fragged into a new colony as yes -- eventually the parent colony will die out -- perhaps just it's lifespan but this is all personal experience.
There is something in the water that gonioporas feed on where they are collected that is not in aquariums. 99.9% of gonioporas will die within two to three years. Yeah you can have some success with it but only soo much. Yes a coral can live for ever. Not one peice but if you frag from it it can go on for ever. There is a green montipora cap that the coral farm I work at has had for over 10 years. You might have gotten very lucky and gotten a healthy one and it has done fine for now but it will not live for more then 3 or so years. They get infected very easily, And once they get infected it is not going to come back. And once it is bleached like his it is not going to come back and be healthy. It is a doomed coral for 99% of people.
You just got lucky and I bet you anything it will not live for more then 3 years or so. It will just slowly starve.
Not trying to be a jerk, Just the way this coral is.