pics of "black" stingray

J

jcrim

My yellow stingray changed colors after a short while in my tank. He was pale (almost white) in the lfs. I'm not sure if he is camouflaging with the black sand or actually being stained by it. Otherwise, he is completely healthy. Anybody think I should be concerned over this.

http://jjcrim.tripod.com/pics/

J

jcrim

I may have neglected to add the pic properly. Let's try this...

J

jcrim

could be cali ray... but then the lfs was wrong (imagine that). He changed colors pretty dramatically, though.

tony detroit

Never seen anything like that.
Looks cool, although not sure if that is a good sign or not.
I had mine a little shy of 2 years, never saw it darken up like that. Although it did darken when it was stressed for a few minutes at a time. Tangs do that as well. Yours is really dark though, that's strange, but very interesting.
What temp water do you have it in?
Do you feed it a varied diet?

J

jcrim

Waters at 78 degrees. He eats anything, mostly squid and shark formula.

kaotik

that looks like a cali ray, but ive never seen one do that before. i would guess it was the sand turning it colors, but then the shark is not darkened at all so I would think the ray is just going camo.
also...i hope you have LARGER plans for that epaulette. It looks severely cramped in that tank!! :scared:

cartman101

Originally Posted by kaotik
that looks like a cali ray, but ive never seen one do that before. i would guess it was the sand turning it colors, but then the shark is not darkened at all so I would think the ray is just going camo.
also...i hope you have LARGER plans for that epaulette. It looks severely cramped in that tank!! :scared:
I second that

cartman101

how long is he darken for? He might be a caribbean spotted ray (check out ***********.com and see if that matchs your ray)

J

jcrim

I do have plans for a 250 - 300 for these fish in about a year. The epaullette is very lazy. He has a series of tunnels built under some live rock and he never leaves that spot except to feed.
The answer to the other question is that I've had the ray about two months. He changed colors within the first few days. Like I said b4 he seems very healthy.

sharkboy97

can u e-mail me some information on your epaulette shark like diet wat size tank its in how big it is and average growth and upkeep cost of ur tank
or anyone who knos about these sharks i am severly intrested in keeping one in a 250 but i would like lots of info and i have that book that everyone suggest buying its just on backorder