Pistol Shrimp Advice

nick76

So my new 24 gallon aquapod has been up and running for almost 3 months now and ive just added my 1st fish. A Yellowhead jawfish, hes doing extremely well and has a huge burrow under the sand. All the rock is supported by base rock on the bottom glass.
I read an article yesterday saying it is possible to pair up a jawfish with a pistol shrimp like a shrimpgoby. Even if they dont pair up would they co-exist peacfully? The jawfish seems to have no problem with his everyday emerald crab visitor who stops by to hang inside his den every once in awhile.
Ok so questions.
1.) 3-1/2 inch sand bed deep enough?
2.) Enough space for the pistol shrimp and Jawfish to burrow?
3.) Personaility conflicts?
4.) What kind of pistol shrimp would be a good candidate?

flricordia

They should be OK together but careful, the jawfish is a jumper and if you don't have a lid you can expect to someday find him on the floor. Don't think they would pair up though, but would be cool if they did.

nick76

Originally Posted by Flricordia
They should be OK together but careful, the jawfish is a jumper and if you don't have a lid you can expect to someday find him on the floor. Don't think they would pair up though, but would be cool if they did.
dont worry I have an aquapod with a fully enclosed lid. I did tons of research ahead of time

donald

I think they will be fine. If the pistol and the jaw fish don't get along it won't take them long to figure out their own territories. Your sand bed is fine, I had a pistol in an inch and a half sand bed. I like the bullseye pistol or the randalli, both have lots of colors and you will need him to be bright so you can see him. They really are very interesting creatures. They do defend their homes against everyone, but it didn't take my fish and hermits and shrimp to firgure out the "danger zone". No one was hurt but the lesson was very dramatic to watch.

nick76

Originally Posted by donald
I think they will be fine. If the pistol and the jaw fish don't get along it won't take them long to figure out their own territories. Your sand bed is fine, I had a pistol in an inch and a half sand bed. I like the bullseye pistol or the randalli, both have lots of colors and you will need him to be bright so you can see him. They really are very interesting creatures. They do defend their homes against everyone, but it didn't take my fish and hermits and shrimp to firgure out the "danger zone". No one was hurt but the lesson was very dramatic to watch.
Hey thanks alot, thats the kind of information I was looking for. I was thinking about a bullseye but I read the chances they pair with a goby is slim compared to other pistol shrimp. I was thinking about a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

muggiwhplar

I had a tiger in about 1 1/2" of sand, and he paired up within a day or two with my watchman goby. I'm pretty sure they'd be safe together even if they didn't pair up. Mine would pop his claw at anything that came too close to his burrow, but never actually stunned or killed anything. However, he did have a habit of grabbing my hermits and trying to use them as pieces in his tunnels; some may have been buried and died this way.