Planning a 300g tank...suggestions?

Chasmodes

What would you do?
I'm planning a set up and want to make sure that I cover all details before beginning. I have yet to purchase anything. I would like to set up a 300g acrylic probably FOWLR with possibly some compatable inverts and have a 120g sump/fuge. My planning list also includes:
Protein Skimmer - need suggestion on best needlewheel for the job
Lighting - need suggestions here, should I get MH? I want a healthy system and to bring out the best colors of the fish that I want (under livestock below)
RO/DI Unit - would like to purchase a 5 stage to do the job and perhaps to use as a source of fresh drinking water too.
Pump for return from sump to tank - need suggestions for a good one
Water flow, would you do a closed loop, wavemaker, or other system to generate water flow in addition to my return from the sump? Need suggestions on size of pumps/brands, etc.
Storage Tanks for RO/DI - what size? how many?
Heater - or heating system - what kind? Brands that are best?
I'll build the stand and canopy.
Oh, the tank will go along a wall in my recreation room and I plan on plumbing it through the wall into the basement. That is where I want to set up my sump/fuge, etcs. In my basement, my well water pump and filter are on the other side of the basement, so I have to figure out how to plumb everything. I'd like to have an auto top off if possible and have storage tanks for water changes ready to go and some mixing tanks.
LR/LS:
200 lbs. Live Rock (Tank)
300 lbs. Base Rock
100 lbs. Base Rock Cured for Sump
20 lbs. Live Sand to seed 550 lbs. of non-live sand (I'm thinking the Soutdown aragonite)
Critters:
I have a good idea what kind of fish that I want and here is my fish stocking list so far once my tank is good to go.
Cleaning crew, some in fuge most in tank
Macro Algae for fuge: Caulerpa Rock and Maiden's Hair?
Fish:
Queen Angelfish (Juv.)
Flame Angelfish
Potter's Angelfish (maybe)
Lemonpeel Angelfish (maybe)
Molly Miller Blenny
Blond Naso Tang
Arabian Pseudochromis
Orange Spotted Blenny - maybe
Blue Spotted Jawfish - probably two or three of them
Wrasse: dilemma for me, I used to have a bluehead and loved him, but am thinking about a less aggressive wrasse like the Hoeven's Wrasse
Mandarin: (maybe after the tank is a year or older)
I'm considering a pinnatus batfish and/or an Atlantic Cowfish (they don't emit toxins) but sometimes angels pick on them...
OK, how would you do this? Recommendations? I will someday set up a reef tank, so this one will probably going to remain FOWLR.

sleasia

search for "Goodwin"'s threads. he has a 400+ gallon reef tank...awesome setup and he can probably talk you through this.

happyvac

If you could give a budget for each item that would really help.
Also, try Googling for large tanks. There are plenty of people out there who would be glad to share their experience.

Chasmodes

Thanks, I've been watching your tank thread on SWF Goodwin9, very cool set up and tank. I've had your tank in mind as a model for mine. I appreciate the info that you've shared already.
I've been googling and reading as much as I can, and will continue to, and have a pretty good idea what I need to do. I guess I just need to plan things and take them one step at a time beginning with the plumbing, tank, sump/fuge, skimmer, etc. and go from there. There is a lot of info out there on each item that I want to buy but most of it is for smaller systems (great for them but not for me). When I look at catalogues or sales web sites and read the specs on their equipment they just don't provide the detail that I need to know. For example, I can get any info on any skimmer except what answers my question - what type of skimmer it is.
Budget? I've done some rough calculations using on-line prices and came up with just short of $11K for the set up and livestock (assuming I'm patient before adding fish getting LR and sand to seed and cure). But I realize that internet prices are cheaper than real life (and include shipping) so I'm probably looking at $15K or so. That is why I don't want to make any mistakes on my initial investment, obviously, LOL. So basically when I'm requesting good heater info, skimmers, etc. I have a budget in mind but if I have to spend more to get the best most reliable thing for the long haul then so be it. I was just wondering if you all had to start from scratch how you would do it. I'd consider a bigger tank but right now that seems to be a good size especially with a large sump/fuge.
I get more excited the closer I get to putting this plan into action. I'm coming into a enough money to make my dream tank a reality soon but right now the finances are the issue. I should have it set up and curing LR and sand within 4 months -- my guess.
Question for Goodwin9 though, how much money do you spend in maintenance each month? I'm trying to work that part of my budget out. Daggone gas prices going up and all!!!!

I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! :jumping:

goodwin9

Blennius.
Good to hear that you are thinking things through. I wished I had done more of that from the start. In a year and a half, I have gone from a 150 gallon tank, to a 210 gallon, and then to my present tank. Each time, I made improvements or changes from the previous setup. I have found this hobby to be one of constant learning.
Your question about maintenance, does that include time? If not, I spend about $80.00 a month for salt, testing supplies, addatives, and cleaning supplies. Most of that goes towards the salt as I change 40 to 50 gallons a week. Time wise I spend half a day each week doing water changes and testing, filter changes and CLEANING. My tank is acrylic and takes more time to clean the tank than does my other 2 glass tanks.
I've been lucky in getting to know a couple of people locally who have large setups that have given me thier advise. I found a builder for my tank, stand, canopy, and sump that was more than willing to spend a lot of time on the phone with me even before I finally gave him my order. Sure made things a lot easier than when I started my first tank and knew nothing...
More on your specific questions later..

Chasmodes

Thanks Goodwin! I'm all ears! I'm sure that I'll make my share of mistakes but the way that I figure it the more I plan and the more patient I am, the better things will be and the mistakes will be a minimum. Your tank is awesome!
My guess is that the $80/mo. and the 1/2 day/wk. is well worth it when you kick back and enjoy your tank and take satisfaction knowing that you are doing the best possible for the lives of your inhabitants.

happyvac

For a skimmer I'd consider something like a Euro Reef CS 400 or an ASM G-5. If you're willing to pay extra, you could shoot for a Deltec.
Or if you're REALLY gonna make it premium, go for a Bubble King.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by blennius
What would you do?
I'm planning a set up and want to make sure that I cover all details before beginning. I have yet to purchase anything. I would like to set up a 300g acrylic probably FOWLR with possibly some compatable inverts and have a 120g sump/fuge. My planning list also includes:
I have a Berlin Turbo, and am upgrading to an ETS skimmer. It's a down draft model that I understand are easier to control. I've had problems keeping needle wheels running properly. Should have it by the end of the week and will know more then.
Lighting - need suggestions here, should I get MH? I want a healthy system and to bring out the best colors of the fish that I want (under livestock below)
I went with the Aqua Light Pro HQI 250 watt fixtures. They do a nice job for me.
RO/DI Unit - would like to purchase a 5 stage to do the job and perhaps to use as a source of fresh drinking water too.
For a few extra bucks, I went with A Merlin RO commerical unit and have it plumbed to my ice maker and a spicket at the kitchen sink.
Return pump depends alot on flow curses and head presssure. I went with a Blueline 100 HD. 3 year warranty. Works great for me pumping water from the basement back up to the tank.
Water flow, would you do a closed loop, wavemaker, or other system to generate water flow in addition to my return from the sump? Need suggestions on size of pumps/brands, etc.
I decided against a closed loop and went with a wavemaker and 4 Rio 1200 power heads. Easier to control and adjust in my opinion. I use a Quiet 1 6000 for refugium and filters, here again, works great for me.
You would probably want 2, one for RO water storage & top off, and one to mix your salt water. I found 65 gallon tanks locally for $100.
In my situation, heat isn't needed, lights generate a lot of heat and I run chillers on all 3 of my tanks to keep tanks - 78 degrees. They run year round, even in the winter.
Oh, the tank will go along a wall in my recreation room and I plan on plumbing it through the wall into the basement. That is where I want to set up my sump/fuge, etcs. In my basement, my well water pump and filter are on the other side of the basement, so I have to figure out how to plumb everything. I'd like to have an auto top off if possible and have storage tanks for water changes ready to go and some mixing tanks.
LR/LS:
300 lbs. Base Rock
20 lbs. Live Sand to seed 550 lbs. of non-live sand (I'm thinking the Soutdown aragonite)
Critters:
I have a good idea what kind of fish that I want and here is my fish stocking list so far once my tank is good to go.
Fish:
Queen Angelfish (Juv.)
Flame Angelfish
Molly Miller Blenny
Blond Naso Tang
Arabian Pseudochromis
Wrasse: dilemma for me, I used to have a bluehead and loved him, but am thinking about a less aggressive wrasse like the Hoeven's Wrasse
I'm considering a pinnatus batfish and/or an Atlantic Cowfish (they don't emit toxins) but sometimes angels pick on them...
OK, how would you do this? Recommendations? I will someday set up a reef tank, so this one will probably going to remain FOWLR.
Good luck!

Chasmodes

Thanks Goodwin and HappyVac, that helps a bunch! Sometimes when people give you an idea of how their system works it helps all the other info you read fall into place. I really appreciate that!

robchuck

Originally Posted by blennius
What would you do?
I've been using a Euro Reef CS250 on my 300g reef for the past 5 months and can honestly say that it's easily the best skimmer I've ever used and that it's not at all undersized for a 300g.

I would recommend MH not only for the asthetic advantages they come with, but also the fact that watt for watt, a simple MH setup with no actinics would cost less to run than a comparable fluorescent system (VHO, PC, or T5). Perhaps a 4x150W HQI pendant arrangement?

The Airwaterice Typhoon III has been my RO/DI unit of choice simply due to the quality of water that it produces, the features that it comes with, and the supurb service the vendor offers.

Depending on the amount of head pressure the pump will be facing anything from the lower flow Sequence pumps to Iwaki or Pan World pumps work well on larger tanks (I'm personally a fan of Iwaki and Pan World pumps).

I've got a closed loop on my tank (the first one I've set up), but preferred a Tunze Stream setup I had on a previous tank due to the simplicity of installation, the ability to customize the flow, and the efficiency of the pumps.

I use a 44g Rubbermaid Brute to store SW for water changes, and a 25g Rubbermaid to store RO/DI topoff.

My tank has never seen a heater so I can't offer any advice for large tanks, but I do enjoy the Ebo Jager line in my smaller tanks.

LR/LS:
300 lbs. Base Rock
Critters:
Fish:
Queen Angelfish (Juv.)
Flame Angelfish
Molly Miller Blenny
Blond Naso Tang
Arabian Pseudochromis
This sounds like an impressive setup that you're planning! Here is the link to a thread I created when I built my 300g reef in-wall last spring:https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/156983/project-300-is-underway/280#post_1619019
Best of luck!!!

aw2

I've personally seen RobChuck's tank and if there ever was a tank to aspire towards, it's DEFINATELY his! It's probably the best looking tank I've ever seen, in person and his fish are some of the healthiest I've seen...including that dinner plate sized Sailfin Tang.

Chasmodes

Thank you Rob and everyone! The advice on here is soooo good. I wish it was around when I was in the hobby a long time ago!