Please Help! Cortez/Round Stingray

bduckwo3

I have an established 210 gallon aquarium with a mostly open soft sand substrate. I just added a round or cortez stingray and I am a bit concerned. I was told by the fish store he was readily eating and so I took him home, he had been special ordered, and now I cannot get him to eat. I have tried fresh squid, scallops, shrimp, krill, mysid, shark formula, coddle fish, octopus, you name it, i've tried it. The one downside and the thing that is freaking my out is that when I bought him, I also introduced an african cleaner wrasse to pick off a viral bump from my harlequin tusk. Well it quickly did it's job but then proceeded to pester the ray every time he surfaced. I quickly returned the cleaner wrasse but am now afraid it may be too late and the ray may not eat. Any suggestions or comments?

meowzer

WELL...welcome to SWF
Did the wrasse hurt the ray? How big is the ray? do you bury the food, or try to feed it to it?
Do you hvae a picture?

bduckwo3

He is not hurt from the wrasse, but he is terrified of us. He comes out when all of the lights are out, we have had him since last friday and he hasn't eaten since. I have not tried to bury food yet, is that what you recommend? He is about three inches or so in diameter and looks very skinny.

meowzer

OK...I had a cortez in my 225G...got it about 3", and just took it to the OK Aquarium cause it got SOOOO big...17" long, and 11" diameter
YES, try burying some food, and let it find it on its own....I used raw shrimp and scallops. If you use the raw shrimp, take the shell off, cut into smaller pieces, and tenderize it.....also it may help if you soak the food in vitamins too

bduckwo3

When you say bury the food, do you mean literally completely cover the food in the sand? Or should I stick it down in the sand leaving a portion of the food exposed? I apologize, I am new to keeping rays.

meowzer

Originally Posted by bduckwo3
http:///forum/post/3246879
When you say bury the food, do you mean literally completely cover the food in the sand? Or should I stick it down in the sand leaving a portion of the food exposed? I apologize, I am new to keeping rays.
Stick it in the sand so it won't float away
I hand fed mine, but you have to wait for it to trust you first
You will eventually have to find it a bigger home though
....if it is healthy it will grow grow grow
here's mine right before we took it to the aquarium
Attachment 239943
Attachment 239944

meowzer

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3246902
cat lady how big do these guys grow fully?
LOL...I read somewhere the max length is 16", and disc is 9.5"
BUT I know that's not true
....mine was 17" and almost 11" in diameter

latinlord

Man I feel ya... I miss my Ray... mine died after 3weeks of not eating.... :(... i'm still sad about it and haven't tried to get another they can be very tough..and are prone to not eating... Good luck! Some time you just get a dud... it is sad...

yokatee

try feeding feeder fish gold fish we have 2 blue spotted they love them and fun to watch eating and sharks love goldfish two