please help polyp gonna die

sltwtronly

ok i have this funny white spider web lookin film on my nice coral. the coral is a white polyp(not sure name) and it wasnt cheap. this white film has taken over on the same rock and the polyp will not open and i am afraid it is gonna die. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bdhough

hmmm, i need to know the name of the coral. a white web indicates decay/death of a coral or some sort of sponge creature. from what i've seen its the last gasp stage of soft corals and corallinomorphs(shrooms/polyps) if its dying. but like i said need to know the name of the coral.
for now you can try brushing the stuff off. if you notice a highly foul odor after doing such then the above is most likely applicable......

sltwtronly

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!! I DONT KNOW THE NAME AND I CANT FIND A PIC OF IT ON THIS SITE. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PIC ON ANY SITE AND THAT IS THE MAIN REASON I BOUGHT IT. I GUESS I SHOULDNT HAVE. IT LOOKS LIKE A STAR POLYP BUT IT IS BRIGHT WHITE AND THE "STARS" ARE A LITTLE SMALLER AND HAVE LIKE 7 OR 8 PEDALS SO TO SPEAK. I APPRECIATE YOU TRYING TO HELP ME AND ANY FURTHER INFO WOULD BE GREAT THANK YOU.

bdhough

pipe organ coral sounds like maybe. does it grow its own reddish brown tubes? there are many corals with polyps though. alveopora, goniopora, star polyps, clover polyps, pipe organs just to name a few. the first two grow their own calcerous structure as do the pipe organs. i think alveopora does at least.... goniopora is about impossible to keep and ive heard pipe organs are as well. did you try anthing i suggested? the stiring and smelling?

sltwtronly

YEAH THEY DO HAVE THEIR OWN REDDISH BROWN TUBES. AND YES IT DOES HAVE A FOUL ODOR. I GUESS I SHOULD LOOK INTO WHAT I GET BEFORE I BUY IT. I LIKED IT AND I HAD NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE SO I SAID HEY LETS GIVE IT A TRY. ILL STICK TO THE REGULAR POLYPS AND MUSHROOMS FROM NOW ON OR AT LEAST UNTIL I GET PC OR MH BULBS.I DO APPRECIATE THE HELP AND I NOW BELIEVE IN THE FORUMS FOR HELP.

bdhough

well don't feel to bad. pipe organs are supposedly hard to keep. i don't know what condition it was in when you bought it. hell i don't know much about them period. i've seen only one alive and thats having worked in two fish stores. i would suggest if you wish to be well versed on corals to buy some books. there are some very good ones out there that will list lighting requirements, water flow needs, food requirements etc. some will even go into geneology and such in great depth. lets just say i LOVE the books i have.....

sltwtronly

THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME OUT I THINK ILL STICK WITH THE AVERAGE POLYP AND MUSHROOM UNITL I CAN AFFORD TO CONVERT OVER TO MH. THANK YOU AGAIN