Please Help... Water Change ?

cashemin44

I have a 10g qt that is housing my inverts b/c I'm treating my main tank w/ copper for ich (don't ask, biggest nightmare ever). We took the H2o and live sand from our DT for the QT. The water levels are not good at all. How much of a water change can I do to the tank? My fiance says that he has done 3 10% water changes in the past three weeks, but is afraid the tank will start to cycle. Our fire shrimp is - death's door and I'm afraid that I might lose my cleaner and other hermits.
Water levels currently"
ammonia: 0.25
nitrite: very dark .50 (i think dark purple but not really a color on the chart)
nitrae: at least 40
pH: 7.8 but I added buffer
salinity: 1.021 (with swing arm hydrometer)
please help!!!

lbock718

So I would think 3 10% in the short of a time frame is enough. I also would stop adding additive temporarily. I'm not sure how large your main tank is, but you can over do it on the changes and additiives.
Things to consider for what I'm reading...
- First, do you have this tank near a window? Say within about 15 to 20 feet of a large window? This can cause an variety of problems.
- Second, do you already have high levels of agae or "filth" in the sand? If so, I'd recommend you use a vac (you can get one at any fish store for about $20). Vac the sand until it looks relatively "filth" free, do a final 10% water change, and add a new filter.
- When you do this final water change, do not add anything to the water, but use only a good mineral salt such as Coralite Marine Grade Salt. Be sure your water is at the right temperature, and that your saline levels are exactly right. Then do nothing more to the tank. If you are still treating it for ich, I'd suggest waiting all this until you have successfully cured your tank. Then proceed with this change.
I know it sounds a bit simplistic, but honestly, you may be overdoing it with the additives and changes. If you have done three in such a short time, your tank may already be starting to cycle, but again, a lot of that depends on the size of the tank, the length of time you've had it established and your stock.
I hope that helps a bit.