Please help with question.

opazen

I was wondering what the consensus was on kent marine parasite treatment was. It claims to be unharmful to inverts and I need a solution to the ick that is plaguing my tangs. i would never add a chemical to my reef but Ive got a guy who swears by this stuff and I just want a second opinion. Please Reply
aol sn ( Stewart11986)
Thank you.
Adam

almarktool

you would be much better asking this over in the dieseas forum where beth and terry could help you more they will prob recommend you do a hypo treatment in a quaritnie tank

fshhub

no experience but i owuld use a qtank and hypo instead, personally
i will not use any treatments in my main tank

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I am not familiar with that product [I’ve seen it but have no info on its effectiveness, etc.]. However, it is a accepted by every advanced or knowledgeable hobbyist that you do not dose a reef tank, or even FOWLR, with medications. You just can’t do it safely, regardless of what ever individual’s may have said regarding having a positive exp.
The only accepted treatments for ick is copper or hyposalinity. Both are very effective and work within the same timeframe. Hyposalinity is what we recommend in this forum for ick, because it is equally as effective as copper, but does not have the toxic effect that copper has.
These treatments must be done in a hospital tank, if you have a reef tank. Hyposalinity can be safely done in a FO tank with no adverse effects to the tank environment [as long as there are no inverts in the tank].
What type of tank do you have?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ed, you always have such interesting info about the details of meds...where do you get the med info? I know you experiment with diseases. Do you buy meds and study? You are a great Fish pharmacist! :D

opazen

well, thank you for all the replys... i dont think hypo would work... its a three hundred gallon reef. It would be so difficult to catch them. they are eaing well so ill try garlic . thanks again.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I know what you mean. It would be impossible to catch fish in a reef tank. I think garlic is a good option at this point. Don't add any new fish until this problem is resolved.
If you decide to try the additive med, then let us know how it turns out.

opazen

no... not this tank...it has so many corals near the top and so much rock... its 7 ft long and keep in mind Ive already taken it down once and like I said it was near impossible... I could only catch the fish after 90% of the rock was out and 80% of the water. Thank you though... since ive posted Ive seen improvement in the fish.. I bought three cleaner shrip and a wrass and they are taking care of it pretty well..
Thanks
Adam

opazen

I value these fish more than anything especially because they are not tottaly my own but I fear that such a proceedure would do more harm than good at this point. I wonder if the stress involved would be the kicker, so to speak, for these fish. They are eating the garlic soaked food and visiting the wrass and shrimps regularly so I think im going to wait untill it may come down to the point where a move is a necessity. As of now they seem to be improving... and so my post may have been premature but I would rather overreact sooner than later... I think you would agree
Thanks for all the help
Adam