PLease Provide any and all info on the horn shark!

krj-1168

Common Name: Californian Horn Shark Scientific Name: Heterodontus francisci Alias: Californian Bullhead, or Horn Shark Maximum Adult Size: Most sources claim it grows up to 4.0 ft(122 cm) in the wild. Although it very rarely exceeds 39.4"(100 cm) in length, in captivity.
Average Adult Size:
actually average around 36"(92 cm) in length.
Maximum Adult Weight:
about 22 lbs (10.0 kg) in captivity
Average Adult Weight:
about 18 lbs (8.2 kg)
Size at birth:
about 5.9-6.6 inches (15 -17 cm)
Size at Sexually Maturity:
about 22-26 inches (56-66cm)
Age at Sexually Maturity:
roughly 3.0 to 4.0 years (36-48 months)
Longevity of species:
up to 20-25 years.
Geographical Distribution:
found in the eastern Pacific, from Southern California to Gulf of California
Habitat:
A very abundant small coastal warm-temperate to sub-tropical shark - found from surf zone to a depth of about 55 meters (180 ft). Also known to inhabit harbors, bays, & sounds.
Diet:
mostly invertebrates - like urchins, shrimp, crabs, mollusks (i.e. clams, squid, or octopus), and segmented worms. Will also feed on small fishes.
Activity level:
a very active during the night. But generally a fairly slow moving, and solitary species. These species like most of its genus is considered to be very hardy.
Personality:
They are voracious feeders, but are basically harmless to humans.
Preferred Water Temperature:
while often considered a cool water species, wild reports show that it is about to tolerate a board temperature range from 59-81 F (15-27 C). But the preferred range where they show the greatest population density is between - 64-75F (18-24 C).
Horn Sharks in Captivity:
This species does very well in captivity, and is easier to acclimate than most species. These species has been known to breed in captivity. The species does will with some live rock decor. Although it does sometimes suffer from problem where the shark may lose it eyes - do either to aggressive tank mates - (like triggers, angels, puffers, or damsels), or to natural iodine levels in the water being to low. So these sharks need the water to be as close to Natural Sea Water as possible, especially iodine levels. And keep aggressive species out of its tank/pond.
Hope that helps some.

sebae09

krj has it covered. what size tank or pond is it going to be in? have you thought about breeding them, you will have a good market but just a thought. thanks

krj-1168

If you want to keep a pair and breed them - which is possible with horns.
I personally would recommend a pond or pool that at least 8' diameter (650-1000 gallons).

mike7587

Can i Have two in a 500 gallon 120x60x18 or just one (didnt plan on breeding) My fish store takes all sharks when they are under 1 year there policy!

krj-1168

Well - with a 10' long x 5' wide x 1.5' deep tank - you should be able to keep an adult horn fairly easily for it's entire life span.
Although 2' deep is actually a little bit better, as horns are likely to make useage of the extra 6 inches in depth .
As for keeping 2 adult horns together in this tank. It's possible - although it may be a bit tight as full grown adults.
I heard of some people even keeping a pair of horns (each about 2' long at the time) & a whitespotted bamboo (about 2.5' at the time) together in a 360 gallon(8' x 3' x 2').

sebae09

i say go for it, you will be able to tell if they are cramped, they wont have swimming room and when they do swim it will be very fast and frantic so you definately could tell if there was a problem. but seeing as your LFS gets them under 1 year old your probbly looking at a 12" shark tops, so they will be fine for a while.

krj-1168

At 12" - it will take about 2 years to reach 2 ft in length(which is the size at sexual maturity). And possibly 5 or more years to the female to reach 36".
The male very likely never grow past 36".

maeistero

they are sweeties, but don't do acrylic. they are really rough sandpaper-like texture and will scratch the living hell out of an expensive big tank in a month. it makes it hard as they need a curved tank. a really experienced woodworker can do this easily in a month or so for a pond/pool, but with glass they will be constantly stressed slamming into the corners.

krj-1168

Personally - I would recommend, instead of investing the money in a large custom built tank - build a custom shark pond or buy a rubber(poly) pool.
It will be cheaper on your pocket, but also better for the shark(s) in the long run.

reeftank27

I would go with the tank...IMO ponds are cool but you can never see them from the side, only the tops. if you have the money then do it right.

sebae09

well i am with krj, ponds would be better. but reeftank27 you allways put the wellbeing of the shark over how you see it, im not saying the tank wont work im just saying a pond is allways going to be better.

krj-1168

From the dimensions that Mike has given - he's looking a custom built tank.
If it's made of glass - he's looking at a price of at least $2,000-3,000 for the tank alone - if he has it built for him. More if it's acrylic. And that doesn't include sand, salt, filtration, LR, lights or stand.
Here's a question that any potential shark keeper should think about.
Is it worth the additional cost to you - so you can view your shark from the side?
Because it is going to cost more for that view.
For the price of a standard 480-500(8' x 4' x 2') gallon glass aquarium - you could build you own 1,000- 2,000 gallon shark pond, including sand, salt & filtration.
D.I.Y. will save you money.

mike7587

i found it acrylic for 2000 i also found a shop that carrties it for 2200 bucks and they 125 percent price match si i am gettin the aquarium for 1500 bucks$$$

krj-1168

While the price is a excellent deal on an acrylic tank of that size.
Still for the same - $1,500, you could easily build your own pool that is twice that amount, including sand, salt, LR, and possible even, a sump, pump & a skimmer.
Generally for a 1,000 - 1,500 gallon D.I.Y. pond will cost about $500 to build it your self.
A large poly(polyethalene) pool that 8-9' in diameter(600-900 gallon) costs about a couple of hundred bucks.

krj-1168

no problem - just trying to help you save some money.
Still there are other ways to help you save some money, even with an acrylic tank.
as in -
-Check ----, or other online auction sites for supplies like sumps, wet/dry filters , skimmers, pumps, even salt sand & LR.
You may end up paying about 50-60% of LFS prices - if your lucky enough.
- or D.I.Y. for sumps, sand filters, Biotowers & skimmers.