Polyp extension, frying, bleaching - clarity needed

lubeck

If there is good polyp extension does that mean the coral is in good health, more or less? I ask because my corals are growing very well and have great PE but the colors seem to be fading which I believe is due to too much light, thus frying them (which is different than bleaching right?). But if I'm giving them too much light and they fade in color (not talking about the tips) would they still have great PE? What does a "fried" coral actually look like and is it the same as bleaching?

acrylic51

I've been doing a bit of reading on the other forum and polyp extension doesn't necessarily mean healthy......I would think if your getting growth, but loss of coloration it might be a lighting issue, but it also might be the corals lacking nutrients as well.....I would think "bleaching; frying" in my mind is the same thing.

lubeck

I don't think it's a loss of nutrients because I feed twice a day and twice a week I spot feed the corals and turn off pumps for a half hour. I recently replaced my two t5 with AI acentic and a blue plus I noticed that my anemone, after the new bulbs had lots of green with purple tips but at the top portion, where it gets blasted with light is bleached out. I've come to realize that lighting may be the case. When I measures with a par meter it was 350 at the top 275 mid and 225 at the bottom. This was before I replaced the t5 so I don't know what it

lubeck

My current light schedule is two 24 watt AI blue and acentic from 7 am to 10 pm. Two 150 watt kessils 15 k from 8 am to 7 pm and one 150 watt kessil 10 k from 10 am to 3 pm. What would be a better schedule? I have no top. Will the corals eventually get used to it?

acrylic51

Your running LEDs.......then I'd bet on the lighting.....what was your acclimation process for the corals with the lighting.

lubeck

Are you saying the lighting is too strong or not strong enough? Oak running 3 kessils and a stock t5 with AI bulbs. To tell you the truth I didn't acclimate more than a day. Should I break off the corals that are bleaching and move them to the sand or just shorten my light schedule. What is the appropriate time to acclimate to the lights?

snakeblitz33

Might not be a lighting problem either. Could be a water chemistry or quality problem as well.
Does your alkalinity fluctuate?
Does your pH fluctuate?
Does your temp fluctuate?
What are all your water params?

lubeck

No to ph and water temp flux more than 1 degree As far as alkalinity goes I two part dose and did have some issues in the very beginning but not now. Other parameters good and will get actuals the only negative one would be phosphate and it would be around .3. Have people seen color loss because of phosphates? I don't believe so because I have huge growth (which is not assign of phos) but have color loss. Like I said earlier I believe it's the lighting after I saw half my anemone full of green and purple tips while the other half, the half that gets all the light is white. I saw this change only because I got a blue(er) light and know that it was prob already there and just couldn't see it.

lubeck

I don't have a dimmer switch but I could put screening or something to dim the lights. How long could I expect it to take and will they eventually get used to my lights ?

rickross23

try lowering the schedule of yor lights....LEDs do last 5+ years but you are taking away some time and also giving algae somewhat of a chance since you run the lights so much. turn them off at 10 pm.

spanko

then I would guess you are having light acclimation problems. Most often you need to observe where the store or person you are buying from has the coral located in the tank, how long it has been inn that position, what lights they have them under. then you need to try to emulate that as close as you can. With LEDs it is a little harder as they pack so much punch but you get the idea.

lubeck

So I added the glass top and placed it directly under the led. Do you think that will be enough? I could double it if need be. What else could I do ?

spanko

Here is a good read on light acclimation.
Understanding Coral Light Acclimation
While most hobbyists are very diligent about conventional water temperature and water chemistry acclimation, coral light acclimation remains somewhat unfamiliar. After carefully researching the light requirements of a particular coral, many reef hobbyists are anxious to immediately place new corals in the brightest location, closest to the light source. This may seem appropriate, but in many situations, it can cause more harm than good.
Keep in mind that lighting conditions vary from aquarium to aquarium. No two fluorescent or metal halide systems have identical light properties. Therefore, a coral acclimated to artificial lighting from one system (e.g., a pet store or an online retailer) will need to gradually adjust to different lighting conditions when introduced to a new aquarium system.
Acclimating Your Coral

Regardless of your light setup, place all new corals on the bottom of your aquarium until they begin to adjust. If you employ metal halide lights, place some sort of screening material above your coral during the first few weeks of acclimation. The screen could be egg crate light paneling or fiberglass mesh. Also, reduce the photoperiod by a quarter for the first week and gradually add an hour each week to reduce the risk of light shock. A good indication your coral has adjusted is when it appears fully expanded and displays full coloration.
Slowly inch the coral to its preferred location over the next month or so. Generally, brighter colored corals should be nearer to the lights. Bright colors signify tissue pigment development that helps protect coral from the UV-light present in shallower depths. Though proper light acclimation is a slow process, it can be the difference between a home reef that simply sustains and one that thrives for years to come.