pom pom/boxer crabs

dammar

I recently got a Pom Pom Crab .... minus the pom poms

Iv been trying to find out how they get the anemones growing on their claws, so far all i can find out is "they acquire them somehow in the wild"
My LFS said I could bring him in and return him for store credit then get a new one and pay the difference which seams really cheap of them since i only got it a few weeks ago (they bought like 5 more after the one i got after not having any for 6 months)
sidetracked with a mini rant ...
Does anyone know what species of anemone they use or if i could get something that they might be able to steal a piece of to use as their 'poms'? id rather not exchange him for a new one, not like hes a broken cell phone or something.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Dammar
Iv been trying to find out how they get the anemones growing on their claws, so far all i can find out is "they acquire them somehow in the wild"

they cut pieces of anenome's off and use them for claws. no clue what type though

puffer32

Mine uses anything handy. I caught him snipping off a clawfull of elegance coral and hubby found him in the star polops. We have a bubble tip anenome he doesn't any pieces of that we know of, we rarely see him.

dammar

I have a rose bulb and a GBT and he hasnt touched either of them, was thinking maybe they only used a certain kind or something. all the pics i can find with google seam to have the same white anemone.
Iv secretly been hoping for a aiptasia infestation so he can steal some of them while i go get a peppermint shrimp =x

kanicky

I have two Boxing Crabs as well, and while they both came with (and have kept) their anemones, I've read that they will use aiptasia, soft corals, pieces of other anemones, zoo's, etc.
I think they're awesome looking, even without the anemones, but I can undestand why you'd want them to have the anemones

Good luck!

dammar

blurry pic, but you get the idea. It seams he decided to take a piece of my frogspawn

problem solved! huzzah
if he took a piece of my rose anemone for the other claw that would look awesome hehe

shrimpi

no way thats sooo cool! That looks so neat!
I wonder if the frogspawn will die though? Hrmmm, guess we will find out.

dammar

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
I wonder if the frogspawn will die though? Hrmmm, guess we will find out.
dont you dare speak such heresy!

im keeping my fingers crossed, and my arms and my legs