Pond Question

blazehok68

my moms koi pond has an infestation of frogs. the frogs do not bother the bigger comets in the pond, but if she puts any fish in there that is less than a foot long, they dissapear. i think the frogs might be taking them out. any body know anything i can do to either get rid of them, or any fish i can put in that will eat them?

t316

When I was a kid I used to duct tape them to bottle rockets and light the fuse. Never saw them again
(kids, don't try this at home
)

wfd1008

i don't think that frogs eat fish. i might be wrong with that, but my guess is that the larger fish are eating the smaller ones. also, have you checked in your filter box? depending on the size of the pump, sometimes fish swim in, but never swim out if you get my drift. with the frogs, try to catch them, and see if any garden store or fish hatchery will buy them. if not, try a farm pond or a creek somewhere. i would say gig them, or use a 22, but that could end up bad for your liner.

blazehok68

wfd1008;3048239 said:
i don't think that frogs eat fish. i might be wrong with that, but my guess is that the larger fish are eating the smaller ones. also, have you checked in your filter box? depending on the size of the pump, sometimes fish swim in, but never swim out if you get my drift. with the frogs, try to catch them, and see if any garden store or fish hatchery will buy them. if not, try a farm pond or a creek somewhere. i would say gig them, or use a 22, but that could end up bad for your liner.[/QUO
no way the fish could swim into the filter. i have a submersible pump with a filter pad around it. and the bigger fish didnt eat them. they are only comets and there mouths are no way big enough to fit them in there mouths. its a mystery

aquaknight

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3048305
Put a bass or 2 in there, they love frogs...
They love smaller fish even more though
Just round up all the frogs and toss 'em into a garbage bag then put them into the freezer. Preferrably if you have an outdoor/garage freezer instead of the kitchen one... Just like fish, the frogs will die quickly and painlessly.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3048310
They love smaller fish even more though
Just round up all the frogs and toss 'em into a garbage bag then put them into the freezer. Preferrably if you have an outdoor/garage freezer instead of the kitchen one... Just like fish, the frogs will die quickly and painlessly.
You have any turtles in there?

nw2salt08

If they are the larger bull frogs they'll consume as many little fish as you can get in there. Certain bull frogs are opportunistic feeders. If the fish are slower than the frogs then it's an all you can eat buffet for the guys. That would be why they're sticking around. I used to work for a pool company and we'd have people come in with frog infestations in their pools. They don't like mothballs. That's all I'm saying. lol We used this method and it seems to work pretty well.

blazehok68

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/3048433
If they are the larger bull frogs they'll consume as many little fish as you can get in there. Certain bull frogs are opportunistic feeders. If the fish are slower than the frogs then it's an all you can eat buffet for the guys. That would be why they're sticking around. I used to work for a pool company and we'd have people come in with frog infestations in their pools. They don't like mothballs. That's all I'm saying. lol We used this method and it seems to work pretty well.

yeah, they are big ass bull frogs. makes sense. last year i put a whole 5 gallon bucket full of them into a local lake.

ironeagle2006

Originally Posted by BLAZEHOK68
http:///forum/post/3048625
yeah, they are big ass bull frogs. makes sense. last year i put a whole 5 gallon bucket full of them into a local lake.
Get yourself a couple of LArger Turtles they will eat the Frogs but not harm the Fish. My brother was having the same issue in SC he put in 2 Red Ear Sliders got them from ***** and the frogs either left or were eaten along with the Tadpoles. The turtles will overwinter fine also in your area they will dig a burrow next to the pond and come out in the spring a set up shop again.

blazehok68

i think it is illegal to buy or sell turtles in new jersey, but i have plenty of ponds around here so maybe i will just go steal one.

socalnano24

Do you have any cats around? I know alot of people with Koi ponds, where the fish magically disapear that are about that size, and it tends to either be cats or coons. They are a bit sneakier than frogs, lol

blazehok68

could be cats.....but they leave the bigger fish alone. fish arent huge koi, just big goldfish about 10 inches or so. little fish were about 3 inches. i would have thunk they would take the bigger ones. easier to catch.