Possible stock list for a 285g

rara12

Ok so my tank has been up and runnong for about four months if not longer. I have been aquiring things like a UV sterilizer and setting up a nano so the tank has been pretty empty. Right now i have:
2 Yellow tail blue damsels
1 Sergent Major
2 Atlantic killie fish
2 Juv. Porkfish
All are small three inches or less. Here is what i plan to start getting now that my tank is ready.
1 Grey Angel-Pomacanthus arcuatus
1 Orange Shoulder Tang-Acanthurus olivaceous
1 Mustard Tang-Acanthurus guttatus
1 Tennenti Tang-Acanthurus tennentii
1 Shortnose Unicorn-Naso brevirostris
1-Jackknife-Equetus lanceolatus
3 High Hats-Equetus acuminatus
1 Manybar Goatfish-Parupeneus multifasciatus
Does this list sound alright? Any suggestions on what i should add/remove? I know this group doesnt exactly have the brightest color but im set on my angel so no suggestions of an imporotor angel would be appriciated. I plan on adding assorted damsels when i finish stocking for that extra color.

95harley

Since no one has answered I'll throw this up. 3 Tangs from the same family is a mistake (Acanthurus). Try to grab your favorite and go for different families.

anthropo

i'd stay away from the goatfish because they eat good inverts, the jackknife cause they don't survive very well, the mustard tang and the tennanti tang because they won't get along well unless possibly you add them at the same time. the unicorn and the orange shoulder when the tank is more mature cause they can be tempermental. instead of adding the mustard tang try a sailfin tang because they look similar and aren't going to fight as much. when you set up the decor make sure there are lots of hiding places and different areas that they can hide. a lot of the fish i would suggest would have to be added later in the maturity of the tank. one of them being a sohal tang which would have to be the last fish added. maybe a few pygmy angels.

rara12

Thank you for the responses. Its a fish only system so i dont really have to worry to much about the goatfish eating good inverts. As for the sailfin tang suggestion, i like them alot i just have no luck with them. I have tried them in the past in older tanks and can never keep them more then a month. I have seen sucess with multiple acanthurus sp. providing the tank is larg, has many hiding spots, and the tangs are of different sizes. The first of the tree will be a small mustard tang 3", followed by a 4-5" tennenti and finally a 6" orange shoulder. This will reduce most of their squabbling. I also have a lot of rock work for the fish to retreat into. The unicorn tang i have been told is pretty mellow and tends to mind its own. I have kept a jackknife in the past and if you get a healthy one they last just like any other fish.
I understand these are suggestions but much of it is based on opinion. I will be going off of experiences i have had and try to incorporate what everyone else has to say. Thanks again for the responses and if anyone else has any please share. Im not really interested in sohols or clown tangs.

N

nereef

i think i may not be alone in that it's hard for me to picture this system. what are the dimensions of the tank?

rara12

Its a bullnose tank being very wide. Its 5'8" at the longest and 2' wide. Im not sure how tall.

coachklm

in my 270g. I have....
tennant tang
blue hippo tang
naso tang
mandarine
2x bartletts anthias
3x lyretail anthias
cherub pygmy angel
bar goby
6x peppermint shrimp
2x blood shrimp
2 x cleaner shrimp
and a green brittle star....
I find it annoying trying to look at my corals and my fish swim right were I'm looking at and staying there... so I'm maxed out...