problem with sebae...

nero

hi,
i just recently brought home a sebae anenome and i am already having a problem. it is rather large, maybe a 5 inch diameter, and very clumsy... i originally put it on the sandbed, but it just drifted and crashed (slowly) into the rock and some of my polyp rocks. then it just hung out for a while, sideways though... the next morning it was attatched, sideways of course, but still open. when i got home from work i noticed it was unattached, but still sideways, so i moved it on a rock where i thought it could attatch easier. but soon, it was upside-down and trying to attatch itself again in this odd position. i think it is having issues. i know you arent supposed to move them when they are attatched in any way, but is there anything i could do to assist it in this seemingly difficult process?
oh yes, some specs in case someone was wondering...
20 gallon (18 inches high)
130 watts of pc lighting (one day, one actinic)
moderate flow
cpr aquafuge w/macroalgae + dsb
skimmer
3.5 inch sandbed
~40 lbs live rock
water parameters all in check
thanks guys/girls for your input!
-nero

T

thomas712

I'll give you my opinion:
1. Your aquarium is to small for an anemone, I just prefer to see them in 29/30 gallon tanks or larger.
2. I'm not entirely sure that you have enough light for a sebae anemone, IMO. I will look up a thread for you to view about sebae's, read what broomer5 has done with his in that thread.
3. Keep him on the sandbed, as sebaes like to burry their pedal disk in them.
4. Sometimes it's common for anemones to wind up in odd positions for a while when first introduced to the tank, sometimes there isn't anything you can do, but if yours is pointing sideways (at least tentacles to the light) then let it. After about two weeks it may move itself after it gets fully acclimated to your water conditions.
Sebaes are a rather difficult anemone for anyone to start with, many of them don't make it 6 months in home aquariums.
What color is your anemone?
Alk, cal, salinity, temp, and pH ave?

big boy69

Mine last night uprooted itself and it looked like it was trying to turn itself inside out??
Then went back to normal and just bounced around in a small area and didn't plant itself, but the Clarki was sleeping it it this morning.

nero

when i got back from work today it was sideways again (in the same spot that it was in last time)... i dont know what to do!!! i built up the sand around its foot; i am hoping that it will attatch so it can get some light. is there any hope that it will attatch itself sometime soon? the coloring looks fine, and it looks rather healthy, it just cant get its foot on the ground (haha). any input helps!!!
thanks!!!

nero

oh yeah...
its a white sebae
my qater specs:
nitrite/rate: 0ppm
ammonia: 0ppm
phosphate: 0ppm
pH: 8.1
temp: 81 degrees
sg: ~1.023

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Nero
oh yeah...
its a white sebae
sg: ~1.023

Ok you relize then after reading that thread that white is not healthy right?
First off I would bump the salinity up to 1.025 or 35ppm. Then I would feed it 2 or 3 times per week in order to give it some nutrition.
I would also get the water tested for Alkalinity and calcium.
As long as its expanding normally then I don't see any immediate danger as yet, other than its white and needs to regain its zooxanthellae that lives inside of it. This could take 3 or more months depending on the quality of your lighting.
Do you think that the current is causing it to be in that sideways position? Perhaps you could redirect a powerhead and see what happens.
Once again don't move it to a rock, sebea's prefer the sand.
Thomas

reefeel

I bought a white sebae too and later found out that thats nor good so I feed it shrimp 3x a week, it took around 3 months and it started to "tan". It is now 4x the size it was and is sort of a manila color. My sebae must be a freak because I moved it onto my rocks to get it closer to the light. It moved around at first but then settled in a rock a foot below the light, a foot from the sand.:confused: Now it has been 6 months and it is alive and well and my clowns are now being hostees after 4 months for one and 5 for another.