problems running 2 refugium/sumps on 1 tankplease help

ppanthrah75

ok heres the scene i have 150 reeftank with a 30 gal refugium my old skimmer broke so i got a new reef octopus 2000 space saver and that did not fit in the refugium so i ordered a new refugium got it last night but cant run both at same time cause the water level in old refuge keeps lowering and raising. so is there something that i can do two run both. the refuges are two diffrent systems with diffrent size return pumps any advice would bre great.

flower

I will take a stab at it...
Make two systems...one has a return pump and oveflow that goes to it and the other would have a return pump and overflow that goes to that. Put them all on a power strip so you have a single kill switch for the whole system. Each would the pull out and pump in what each is supposed to. Have your skimmer where it fits the best.
If your tank is drilled you would need an overflow box for only one of them.
Just an idea...from a very non-handy person.

2quills

What you're probably going to have to do if you want to use both tanks is plumb them together. Have one drain into the other one and only use one return pump. Otherwise you'll probably never be able to match the drain water coming in and the flow going out of each one equally. Therefore water is going to be rising or falling too fast in one of them like you mentioned.

ppanthrah75

hey flower the situation is the original refuge either fills up to much or lowers to quick i cant seem to get a constant water line they r two diffrent size return pumps so im thinking thats my issue maybe. ive been trying since last night with no luck. the new refuge is fine no fluctuation in water level so i think that is the stronger pump. any thoughts?

2quills

Sure, it would be helpful if you can tell us some specifics like what pumps you have, how many GPH are they pushing and what size of overflows you are using. We can give you some more accurate advice that way and be able to tell if what you have now will work good or not. But I can still give you a rough idea.
Essentially I would drop one of the overflows and only use one. But I would split one of the two drainlines and have the one that's split run to the fuge. I would also take out the pump in the fuge. Then what I would do is drill two holes...one on each return section of the two tanks. Then I would install bulkheads on those holes and connect the two tanks with pvc or flexible tubing. Essentially what you would be doing is creating one larger return section out of the two. And just use one pump in either one of those return sections.
Here's a rough sketch of the concept (very rough). Remember it doesn't have to look exactly like the picture this is just to give you an idea. Otherwise it's going to be a 24/7 job for you to try and keep two tanks with two pumps to each recieve enough drain water equally to work. It's been tried before...it's just too much hassle. A 1oz per minute difference going to either tank is huge...that's 60oz an hour that one of the tanks would be gaining. Add that up over the course of a day and you could see how it could easily create problems problems for you. Even with two pumps of equal size.

ppanthrah75

not sure the overflow if ue asking diameter of hoses ( inch and a half) the pumps say 3000gph but then says length of hose lessins the gph and the other pump is a quiet one 6000 which is 1506gph

2quills

Are you saying there is a possibility you might be pushing 4000GPH through your sumps? What size tank is the display?

2quills

Sounds like you would still have more than enough turnover for your filtration if you were to go with just one of those pumps and one of the overflows. 3-5 of turnover per house is usually sufficient when running sumps/fuges. Remember a slower turnover rate in the fuge is alot better than too much turnover. I think you could easliy convert your two tanks into one system using the method I posted above. By spliting one of your drains lines and with the installation of a valve it would give you greater control for flow rates going through the sump and the fuge. That's what alot of people are leaning towards these days.

ppanthrah75

the problem i think im seeing is the ballfle placement i have a consistent water level in all three chambers and when water evaporates it change the depth in the skimmer section my brain is in over drive right now since yesterday morning when i got the new refuge. just started using skimmer yesterday cause it didnt fit in original refuge i like it though i think i shou raise it

2quills

Ah...yes I see your point. That sump would be better suited for an external skimmer. But yes, if you could raise the baffle on that chamber higher that would be a good idea. You'll never keep your skimmer tuned in properly with the water level fluxuating like that. An automatic top off system might help but I would raise the baffle, personally. A little FIY on that skimmer, most folks seem to find it works best in water between 6-8 inches high. Most leaning a little closer towards 6".

ppanthrah75

thanx ive got a headache trying to figure out this setup tomorrows a new day im gonna hit the store for some pluming stuff and c what i can do i appreciate ur input and dealing with me today

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383113/problems-running-2-refugium-sumps-on-1-tankplease-help#post_3348259
Sure, it would be helpful if you can tell us some specifics like what pumps you have, how many GPH are they pushing and what size of overflows you are using. We can give you some more accurate advice that way and be able to tell if what you have now will work good or not. But I can still give you a rough idea.
Essentially I would drop one of the overflows and only use one. But I would split one of the two drainlines and have the one that's split run to the fuge. I would also take out the pump in the fuge. Then what I would do is drill two holes...one on each return section of the two tanks. Then I would install bulkheads on those holes and connect the two tanks with pvc or flexible tubing. Essentially what you would be doing is creating one larger return section out of the two. And just use one pump in either one of those return sections.
Here's a rough sketch of the concept (very rough). Remember it doesn't have to look exactly like the picture this is just to give you an idea. Otherwise it's going to be a 24/7 job for you to try and keep two tanks with two pumps to each recieve enough drain water equally to work. It's been tried before...it's just too much hassle. A 1oz per minute difference going to either tank is huge...that's 60oz an hour that one of the tanks would be gaining. Add that up over the course of a day and you could see how it could easily create problems problems for you. Even with two pumps of equal size.

Corey - I like this idea I would just add another two baffles to this to catch the bubble from the skimmer to the return. I don't know if there would be enough room under his stand for everything.
ppanthrah if you want to give some dimension of everything I would be happy to sketch this up for you and between all of us i think something good can come out of all of this. Dimension of the following
Tank L W H - distance from top to floor
Stand Inside dimensions and all opening LWH
All dimensions of your sumps and fuges with baffles
edit forgot dimensions of your pumps and skimmer.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/383113/problems-running-2-refugium-sumps-on-1-tankplease-help#post_3348502
Corey - I like this idea I would just add another two baffles to this to catch the bubble from the skimmer to the return. I don't know if there would be enough room under his stand for everything.
ppanthrah if you want to give some dimension of everything I would be happy to sketch this up for you and between all of us i think something good can come out of all of this. Dimension of the following
I was thinking he would be ok on micro bubbles from the skimmer simply because of the foam bad the water has to go through and the fact that it's pulling water from lower in the fuge and it's not really falling over a baffle. But yeah the drawing was a crude design to show how he could connect them. Infact if he wanted to he could connect them just as the way they sit now. Just wanted to illustrate my idea of turning the two return chambers into one essentially and just going with a single pump and overflow. You know I'm not a master sketcher lol.

ppanthrah75

hey AL the two systems wont fit under my dt so im gonna keep the one outside the tank and one under there 30 gallon each the one with the skimmer in it is the new one and the other one i turned a sump into a fuge by putting two baffles in it. hey 2quills if i drill the holes and connect the two return areas what size hole? and would i have rock and sand in both systems or would one just be all water?

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383113/problems-running-2-refugium-sumps-on-1-tankplease-help#post_3348507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke
http:///forum/thread/383113/problems-running-2-refugium-sumps-on-1-tankplease-help#post_3348502
I was thinking he would be ok on micro bubbles from the skimmer simply because of the foam bad the water has to go through and the fact that it's pulling water from lower in the fuge and it's not really falling over a baffle. But yeah the drawing was a crude design to show how he could connect them. Infact if he wanted to he could connect them just as the way they sit now. Just wanted to illustrate my idea of turning the two return chambers into one essentially and just going with a single pump and overflow. You know I'm not a master sketcher lol.
Hey Corey i wasn't knocking your drawing, I think it is a great idea and it will work. I guess he doesn't have enough room for both under his stand, the fuge might look good outside the tank. I guess you are right about the bubbles from the skimmer.

acrylic51

Just seen this thread....Going to have to read from the beginning to get up to speed.....LOVE the SKIMMER!!!!!!!