Protein Skimmer filling up quick.....

oneflysi

i'm just wondering if what is going on with my PS is normal. i have a 55 gal with 3 inch base LS and 45 fiji LR. small cleanup crew, and 5 damsels and a clownfish. the PS is a seaclone and my tank has been running since dec 28th.
the skimmer has been nearly filling up the cup (over half full) in about a weeks time. is that much normal?
thanks!
-One

k.lee

Depends on organic load in the water. If it is not dark/rich br0own turjn the oxygen/air down with the valve.

R

rolltide

I have a seaclone for my 30 gallon and I dump it about every 2-3 days. I think if I left it longer it would probably be half full in a week too. I think you are fine but like the previous post is it green and nasty looking?

oneflysi

yea, its dark brown...almost black. does that mean i need to turn the air valve down? i mean, i know its suppose to be brown, but still should i turn down the valve?
i guess its normal then....just seemed like i was filling that cup up to fast, and i heard it can be a bad thing because i can start taking good things outta the water also. thanks!!
-One

k.lee

Originally posted by anthem:
<strong>After 24 hours depending on the amount of nutrients that you have in the water, it will fill a good amount. Then its just a bit of daily slime. I would never turn it off if possible, you don't want to release this stuff back into the thank.
There is rarely a situation where you will remove too much. If you're asking if you're removing too much, you probably aren't. The only people who want the nutrients in the water are the ones that have certain types of plants in refugiums that will break it down that way (another protein remover).
Ed</strong><hr></blockquote>
well said :)

k.lee

Originally posted by OneFlySi:
<strong>thanks....thats really all i wanted to know is if its possible to remove "to much". thanks!!
-One</strong><hr></blockquote>
Well . . . (as Ronald Reagan says) . . .
Protein skimming removes stuff, yes.
Via bubbles. It removes whatever it can, indiscrimanately
. It will remove flora and fauna, phytoplankton, ick (cryptocaryon (sp?.) et cetera.
Baby amphiphods your fish night want et etera.
Protein skimmers are good, BUT, IMO, ALSO REMOVE GOOD
stuff, ie. phytoplanktonic larvae of sponges, tube worms, fish (?), et cetera.