Protein Skimmer for seahorses

robofish

Does anyone know of a good protein skimmer that will not put tiny bubbles back into the tank as this will cause problems with seahorses? I am trying to find one for my seahorse tank?

aarone

I used a berlin classic in tank skimmer. It was 30 bucks online. Works like acharm too for its size. you need an air pump to power it though.

dreeves

Some of the skimmers being offered have available de-gassers you can get with them...you have to look for them...and I am sure they can be modified to fit another skimmer.

dreeves

Something as an idea...you could get a Lee's Specimen container...cut some like 1/8 slits around the top of it...have the protein skimmer drain into it...may be enough room for the water to clear the bubbles prior to draining into the tank...
Something along these lines...a dwell time for the air to bubble up and out...creativity...

I believe there is a bubble box you can put on a skimmer to stop the bubbles from forming in the water and effecting the horses. If you must have bubbles, the bigger the better. The larger ones are less likely to stick to the horses' skin. HTH

dreeves

No...
It is a square with a handle to hang over the edge of tank...it is to hold a fish or two...they have two sizes...I currectly have two of the small size performing as a continuous siphon overflow...they are Lee's brand so go to a site which sells them and you can get the sizes there.

robofish

I have now ordered a Tunze 235 /2 and it is supposed to work...
I almost bought the cpr sr2 since it is made to reduce the bubbles in the sump but liked the Tunze better.

tunze

Originally posted by robofish
I have now ordered a Tunze 235 /2 and it is supposed to work...

Great choice !

robofish

Thanks, I have done quite a lot of research and the Tunze appeared to be the best for any aquarium and not only seahorses...