Protein Skimmer Thoughts

mrdc

I'm currently running a remora pro skimmer that just never seems to skim very much. I have been using it for over 6 years so now I am thinking about changing it out and go with a Reef Octopus BH 300 DualHang on Back ProteinSkimmer. Anyone have any thoughts about the octopus skimmer? Do they skim well?

mrdc

Well I didn't like this review:
Choosen for the narrow footprint to fit between the wall and tank. Provides some skimming action. Two pumps supposed to be identical - do not pull the same amount of protein from the tank. No universal fit with other pumps. Huge pumps stuck in tank, unsightly. Inlet disperses far too many bubbles. The bubble filter, not pictured in advertisements is a huge square piece of blue foam - not fit adapted, again, very unsightly. Any overflows purge a lot of water onto the floor quickly. Company support is difficult.

mrdc

Does the collection cup on your remora ever fill up? I get about a 1/4" of dark sludge about every 2 weeks.

mrdc

Maybe I will look for one to put in my wet/dry filter. I will check tonight to see how much room I have to work with.

ofalegend

I just emptied my Super Reef Octopus XP1000SSS for the first time last night and OMG, that is the most disgusting smell I believe I've ever been exposed to. It literally gagged me (and I don't gag easily)! How does anyone run a tank without skimming all that stuff out??

flower

I have a drain tube on mine to use between cleanings. The tube is just long enough to reach my collection jug (empty bleach bottle) I no longer just leave it attached all the time, but it sure makes emptying the cup a breeze.

ofalegend

What about the brown film/gunk that sticks to the lid of the collection cup and inside the neck? How do you get that off and how often do you clean it?
I'm figuring it'll be a lot easier in the summer when the garden hose is on, but I am NOT getting that thing anywhere near my sink, so its been challenging cleaning it. I've had to cover my nose and use a paper towel (and two gloves) to scrape that nasty crud off the lid and inside the neck.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfALegend http:///forum/thread/383919/protein-skimmer-thoughts#post_3361279
What about the brown film/gunk that sticks to the lid of the collection cup and inside the neck? How do you get that off and how often do you clean it?
I'm figuring it'll be a lot easier in the summer when the garden hose is on, but I am NOT getting that thing anywhere near my sink, so its been challenging cleaning it. I've had to cover my nose and use a paper towel (and two gloves) to scrape that nasty crud off the lid and inside the neck.
LOL....everything of mine goes in the kitchen sink
then YOU WASH THE KITCHEN SINK HAHA

mrdc

Well I think I have plenty of room to try out another skimmer in the sump. I just need to wait awhile since I have spent SO much $ on fish crap, I mean stuff, over the last month or so.

I had a Reef Octopus BH 100F. It was awesome! What i really like about it is there is no pump in ur tank. I choose this over the 1000 because it has a T pipe on the outlet so there will be a lot less micro bubbles. I also had the remora c and it was alright, I like you never really got a lot of gunk. Also had problems with the pump.. Im currently using a Octopus NWB and love it as well!

nizz

I have used the remora C. Its was a pretty good skimmer for me. Right now I am using the lifereef skimmer and that is pretty good so far. Its producing some nice skimmate.

chain

The only HOB skimmer I have used is the aqua c remora so I can't really comment too much on HOBs, as far as sump skimmers are concerned, I used to use ASM's and still have both of them in storage, now I use I-Tech skimmers on my big reefs. Big downside to I-Tech is they are handmade so you usually have to wait a few months until they finish building. Also when I bought them they were like $700 each so that was a downside too. Still need to buy a few more Vortech MP powerheads. Try explaining that purchase to your wife.