Protein Skimmer

theirr

Hello:
I have a 120 gallon FOWLR (120 lbs rock and 120 lbs sand) with a sump and the following (all 3 inch):
Blue faced angel
Harliquen tusk
yellow tang
blue throat trigger
Dog puffer
I need a protein skimmer and asking which one is the best to get resulted in me thinking about getting the ASM G-1. The ASM G-1 comes with different pumps though. The Sedra 2500 Needle Wheel Pump and the G-500 Pump.
I found the following text on an advertisement: "ASM’s come complete with a Sedra pump or G series pump which is modified to create and produce some of the highest amount of bubbles per square inch of water, on the market today. They perform best, when placed directly in your sump."
Does anyone know the difference between these two pumps and can recommend one over the other. I've looked over the web and couldn't find a description.
thanks,
Rob

E

eric b 125

i would check out the G-2 if i were you. its a few extra bucks, but i think the results will be worth it.

theirr

I don't believe the G-2 will fit in my sump. The sump is 11x11 with a power head in there. Also height is a concern.

E

eric b 125

is upgrading the sump an option? this will have benifits beyond being able to fit a bigger skimmer.

R

rcreations

I don't think a G-1 will be enough for a 125 gal. I have a G-1 on my 65gal and sometimes I wish I got the bigger one. Look through your choices carefully before buying a skimmer. You don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on one, then to find out it's not enough for your tank.

al mc

I agree with Eric and Rcreations. The G1 is will frustrate you in the long run with this set up and the fish you have...especially the puffer. IMHO a skimmer should be sized by purchasing one that is 1.5-2x the total water volume of the system.
I have used many ASMs and been happy with them. If you decide you are going with the ASM G1 use the sedra pump.

theirr

Thank you for the info! Please! Tell me why you recommend the Sendra pump over the other one. Thanks!

R

rcreations

I have the Sedra pump on my G1. I just heard it's better and more reliable.

small triggers

ive had both the AMS mini G and now i have an ASM G-3 and both have sedras,,, love em... and just keep in mind i only have a 150g,, I have to empty my cup every 3 days or so..... if at all possible you will want to get a larger one than the G-1...they also need to be in about 6-8 inches deep of water to work really well.