psychedelic mandarin goby

napoli

Does any one have a feeding regiment for a psychedelic mandarin goby? I've had mine about 6 months now in a 90 gallon bowfront, about 140 lbs live rock, wet/dry sump filtration, prism skimmer, coral life lighting etc. He is constantly looking and pecking at the rocks but seems to be getting skinnyer and skinnyer. I tried frozen baby brine, frozen Daphnia, live brine but he doesn't seem to eat anything that I can tell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..... :needhelp:

puffer32

He needs pods, if you don't have any, he will get skinner until he dies. Some lwill eat other foods, but as you see, yours is not one of them, you need to take him back to the lfs, or find a source of pods.

teresaq1

mine eats live brine soaked in zoe, and frozen mysis along with pods. I suck the brine and mysis into a syring, and shoot them right in from of my mandrin. Now when she sees it she come running. I know a site that sells pods if you want it.
m0m24@earthlink.net

P

pcpope

By the pods worth it if you want a mandrin, we did well worth it don't think we'll ever run out again they are every where 1/2 in fuge other in tank, great fish if you have pods sad if you don't.

napoli

Thank you everyone for the tips! I think what has happened is my mandarin ate all the pods I had and deleted the supply. I don't have a refugium which I probably will set up next but in the meantime I've contacted the source for the pods (thank you TheresaQ1) and will try the bloodworms too.

lionfu411

how long was your tank set up before you bought the mandarin? they generally need a tank established like 8 months to a year. Some mandarins eat prepared foods but most wont

napoli

I would say about 8 months on the setup (live rock). The actual sand and water has been over a year - made the mistake of going with plastic rocks in the beginning. Like I said he was REALLY happy for about 4 months, super fat. Then all the sudden getting skinnyier and skinnier. He is still constantly hunting so I think he may have depleted my pod supply. I'm waiting to see if the link for buying pods pans out, in the meantime hopeing I find a solution soon enough! :thinking:

bret61081

Mine loves the live brine mixed with food...I mix it in a little cup, suck it all up in a turkey baster and shot it on the rock he is on and he goes crazy eating!

kaotik

i know you can get pods at octopets.com. (hopefully the powers that be will allow that link since it is not a competitor) :)